PDA

View Full Version : Can Text be Aligned?

barathd
2005-06-15, 08:45 PM
Has anyone found a way to align text? Would be nice if one had drawn a detail line and after randomly entering text one could use the align tool to center the text above or below the previously drawn line.

Regards

Dick Barath

daniel.hurtubise70031
2005-06-15, 08:49 PM
When dragging the text it will automatically align to others while you go across.

Joef
2005-06-15, 10:00 PM
I think the question is how to align text with non text items. I don't think that is possible. If you click on the item you want to align to, the temp dimension will give you the angle to rotate the text.

daniel.hurtubise70031
2005-06-15, 10:26 PM
In this case i just zoom in and nudge as close as i think it is, doesnt make a difference when printed

Joef
2005-06-15, 10:50 PM
Nudge is great. I don't know how we got along without it!

daniel.hurtubise70031
2005-06-15, 11:14 PM
Agree, great little tools, especially when well setup

J. Grouchy
2005-06-15, 11:20 PM
I'd still rather be able to align text. Nothing else will be good enough. :razz:

patricks
2005-06-15, 11:32 PM
Just get one block of text as close as you can, and then when you drag your other text objects, they will align to the first one.

J. Grouchy
2005-06-15, 11:37 PM
as close as you can

A perfectionist like me hates that phrase. ;)

Andy.88917
2005-06-16, 02:37 AM
I can't stand "eye-balling" anything, even if it doesn't make a difference on the final prints. A drawing doesn't feel clean to me unless everything is PERFECT! This is one of the frustrations I am having trying to learn REVIT coming from AutoCAD and Architectural Desktop.

barathd
2005-06-16, 03:03 AM
"Eye balling" is something like "finger painting". I tend to agree - drawing seems to be corrupted, incomplete, whatever when text is just thrown in helter skelter. Really this can't be such a big thing to fix. Align works wonderfully - probably one of my favorite tools. Why not extend this capability to text. Should work no different than a "structural tag".

J. Grouchy
2005-06-16, 01:36 PM
I can't stand "eye-balling" anything, even if it doesn't make a difference on the final prints. A drawing doesn't feel clean to me unless everything is PERFECT! This is one of the frustrations I am having trying to learn REVIT coming from AutoCAD and Architectural Desktop.

although, I have to say, ACAD drove me nuts because it was too easy to knock something off kilter by 1/256 of an inch and never realize it until it mattered. More often than not, some joker would come along and do just that and I wouldn't be able to ignore it.

aaronrumple
2005-06-16, 01:50 PM
I do find the room tags too sensitive with alignment. They should only try to align to visible room tags not every tag in the whole project. This makes them "jumpy" and I end up using the nudge far too much.

J. Grouchy
2005-06-16, 03:56 PM
I do find the room tags too sensitive with alignment. They should only try to align to visible room tags not every tag in the whole project. This makes them "jumpy" and I end up using the nudge far too much.

all tags seem to be this way, not just room tags. it would probably be a bit too much to have tags snap only to 'like tags', though.

DaveP
2005-06-17, 03:30 PM
Wish List , here we come!

I'd love to see the ability to Align Text (or Labels) in a Family.
Say you want a Label on the right edge of an object. then when you flex the object, the text moves with it.

Haden
2005-06-17, 04:49 PM
I also am slightly bugged by the fact that when you have a piece of text that is center or right aligned, the drag arrows always appear in the upper left corner rather than the center or right corner.

djmagick2004
2005-06-17, 09:38 PM
Nudge is great. I don't know how we got along without it!

Ok, im using autocad 2002, what is the keyboard shortcut for nudge? or possibly the true command line name of the command because i cant find it in the command reference..

Joef
2005-06-17, 10:18 PM
Nudge is a Revit tool. I am fairly certain that AutoCAD is nudgeless.

djmagick2004
2005-06-28, 05:31 PM
Nudge is a Revit tool. I am fairly certain that AutoCAD is nudgeless.

Thanks Joef, I suspected as much.

janunson
2005-06-28, 05:36 PM
Wish List , here we come!

I'd love to see the ability to Align Text (or Labels) in a Family.
Say you want a Label on the right edge of an object. then when you flex the object, the text moves with it.

I think this wish applies:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=21287

using the align tool on text elements and notes would be great.. dimension strings too.

Michelle Gibson
2005-06-28, 05:49 PM
Forgive me for sounding completely off here, but I have been reading this thread and thought you were joking when talking about nudging something. IS that really a REVIT tool - I have a hard time imagining someone coming up with that type of command and not align text.

Maybe the joke is on me?

dkantrud5699
2005-06-28, 06:21 PM
Attached is a lisp routine that will help you align your text horizontally or vertically as your typing it. It prompts for spacing which you can key in or pick a distance on screen (excepts negative values also). It also defaults to the last values entered. You have to key in an exclamation "!" to end the routine.

Or how about using grips and snap for an easy way to moving text to align.

When I first posted this I didn't realize I was in a REVIT forum....never have used Revit so I don't know if my post will help or not...

janunson
2005-06-28, 07:07 PM
ahhh lisp... it has been a while...

Steve_Stafford
2005-06-29, 06:01 AM
...IS that really a REVIT tool - I have a hard time imagining someone coming up with that type of command and not align text...User requested feature...Revit delivered. I imagine in time they'll deliver more on text too...