PDA

View Full Version : Dimensioning Grids ( was > Simple question)

E-Key
2005-06-17, 08:55 PM
All annotation elements - tags, dimensions, text notes, etc. are view specific. They live in one view only. Detail items are view specific as well.
Next simple question as sequent. Dimensions for grids must be shown on all levels. I'd like don't use underlay feature for dimensions displaying. Does it means that I must dimensioning grids on each level? Or there are other more elegant solutions?

Thanks

cosmickingpin
2005-06-17, 09:13 PM
1. In a grid only view, dimension up your grid layout. export that file to autocad. Re-import and link that file into your revit file and show it on every view. You move your grid, reexport your dimensioned grid only view. overwriting you previous file. Update your link and everything is vodka. (this plan is what I do as I have to keep a cad file updated for your 2d engineers)
2. Show the dimensioned grid only view as underlay in each floor plan. ( I think dimensions show up in this case, I would check for sure but I am feeling lazy this friday)
That's all I got...

Next simple question as sequent. Dimensions for grids must be shown on all levels. I'd like don't use underlay feature for dimensions displaying. Does it means that I must dimensioning grids on each level? Or there are other more elegant solutions?

Thanks

Steve_Stafford
2005-06-18, 03:17 AM
Does it means that I must dimensioning grids on each level? Or there are other more elegant solutions?You could place dimensions on one level and group the grids and dimensions, you can't group just the dimensions. Now go to the next level and select the grid group, pick the Place Detail from the Options bar and pick the dimension annotation group from the list. The dimensions will appear. Do this for each level. Now any change to the groups dimensions will propogate for all copies of the group.

Note...doing so will make it impossible to use the beam and column feature Place by Grid or Grid Intersection because the grids are part of a group and you won't be able to add the columns or beams while editing the group.

Honestly, I'd just dimension one level and copy to clipboard, paste to named levels...done. Eventually one of the dimension strings will need to be slightly different on one level forcing you to ungroup them anyway...