PDA

View Full Version : Window as Wall Opening

artitech
2005-06-19, 05:16 PM
I thought I saw a thread on this before but I tried searching with no luck...

Can I use a "window" to create a wall opening (void through the wall)? It seems that this would be a much simpler way to create a square or rectangular void through a wall...

Is this possible?

artitech
2005-06-19, 05:20 PM
..I should add that I tried loading a window type from the Revit Library labelled "M_Opening" but I get an error message :

"The family is not of the correct category"

I thought this was going to work when I saw this in the Window Library....

SkiSouth
2005-06-19, 07:12 PM
Use an inplace family for your void Modeling ->Create->Void. Note that you can use all the creation methods, sweep, extrusion, etc for the void. Makes interesting holes in the walls.

Steve_Stafford
2005-06-19, 07:29 PM
...Can I use a "window" to create a wall opening (void through the wall)?Did you try Modelling>Opening?

tobytaylor
2005-06-19, 10:13 PM
I had same requirement and got same error but loaded it into project as a componemt not a window.

patricks
2005-06-20, 01:04 AM
I would either use the Opening tool, or create a family from either a window or door template, and save the family with only the opening cut as the family (delete any trim or anything else that's in the template). No need for in-place stuff for that. :)

sbrown
2005-06-20, 02:47 PM
The M_opening family is really a generic model so you place it using the component command vs the window command(this is so it doesn't schedule. I would not use in place families, I would use window or door families or generic model-wall based families.

artitech
2005-06-20, 03:14 PM
I agree. I would prefer to use window openings that have no frame or glass. I also added some using the "edit profile" for a wall face and just drew in some opening where I wanted them - works perfect, only you need to elevate the wall to do it.

At least now I know what the M_opening belongs to...components... I'll take note of that.

Thanks.