PDA

View Full Version : Wall base extension distance problems

patricks
2005-06-20, 04:35 AM
I have the brick on my exterior walls extended down 8" below the finished floor level. The problem happens when I try to edit the profile of the exterior wall to make an opening, it's putting that same 8" extension distance to the top horizontal edges of the opening. So if I make the opening 10 ft. tall (that includes splitting and trimming the bottom boundary line of the wall) then it makes the opening appear 9'-4" in elevation. Is this supposed to be happening?

beegee
2005-06-20, 05:48 AM
That is what happens. ( Image 1 ) Whether it " peforms as expected "- couldn't say.

The work-around is to build the compound wall from the floor level to 10' high, then provide a " base wall ( brick skin ) from floor to 8" below floor. Cut an opening in each wall, align , join geometry. ( Image 2 )

Sounds involved - but isn't too bad really.

Steve_Stafford
2005-06-20, 05:53 AM
...Is this supposed to be happening?...Probably not and you could try making the opening a wall hosted family, that should work around this issue....

beegee
2005-06-20, 06:14 AM
Steve's right, creating an inplace wall hosted void would be faster than my work-around.

patricks
2005-06-20, 06:33 AM
Well I'm having enough trouble trying to get 2 walls at a corner to behave correctly when I edit their profiles to cut openings in both of them, and trying to get a column left over at the corner. What I have is a porch on the first floor, and then the walls and 2nd floor continues above to the outside corner where the column is. I was making openings in each wall on the first floor and trying to get other walls to join correctly at the edges of the edited profile. I was getting all kinds of errors trying to get it to work.

Finally I just edited each wall to remove the portion on the first floor all the way to the end of the wall, and then added separate short walls in at the corner for the column.

Doesn't have anything to do with the problem I posted, I guess, but I finally got everything to join and look correct in plan and elevation, and actually the little "notch" at the top edge of the opening will make a nice little recess for the ceiling material of the porch to fit into.