PDA

View Full Version : Revit just closed without warning?!?!

patricks
2005-06-21, 07:06 PM
I had started a new blank file (no template) to make a small very accurate model of a fence that I needed to render. I had a brick column drawn, and 4 elevation marks placed. I clicked on an elevation mark and the whole Revit program immediately just disappeared! No crash warnings, no error message, no asking if I wanted to save, nothing, it just totally went away.

I had another larger project open in addition to this new one, and I lost all my changes from that also ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! :banghead: :evil:

cosmickingpin
2005-06-21, 07:11 PM
I still get those too. The Programers have done a really good job hunting down and fixing the reasons for most crashes, but seem to have caused new ones that bypass the save a recovery option and generate no error report, which I assume makes their lives a little easier. like I told Luigi once, Jesus can save your soul but saving your file is up to you.

I had started a new blank file (no template) to make a small very accurate model of a fence that I needed to render. I had a brick column drawn, and 4 elevation marks placed. I clicked on an elevation mark and the whole Revit program immediately just disappeared! No crash warnings, no error message, no asking if I wanted to save, nothing, it just totally went away.

I had another larger project open in addition to this new one, and I lost all my changes from that also ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! :banghead: :evil:

patricks
2005-06-21, 07:14 PM
Yeah I don't get this, I mean I just went to click and drag an elevation mark, and the instant I clicked down on the mouse button with the cursor over the elevation mark, the whole program disappeared.

I do notice that the new render material I had just created right before it crashed is still there. :roll:

patricks
2005-06-21, 07:30 PM
whoaaa now this is really wierd... the time stamp on my file said it was last saved at about 9 this morning (currently 2:30 pm local time), and indeed the things I did earler this morning were lost, but I did notice a few things that I did later in the morning were actually still in the file??? That's totally makes no sense. :confused:

cosmickingpin
2005-06-21, 07:45 PM
The Revit Gremlins are hard at work it seems. Either that our you have been abducted my aliens and probed. Wow, never had that happen, run a virus scan to be in the safe side.

whoaaa now this is really wierd... the time stamp on my file said it was last saved at about 9 this morning (currently 2:30 pm local time), and indeed the things I did earler this morning were lost, but I did notice a few things that I did later in the morning were actually still in the file??? That's totally makes no sense. :confused:

Scott Hopkins
2005-06-21, 07:56 PM
Welcome to the club! :mrgreen:

I'm not sure I can think of a single program I use that hasn't abruptly crashed at least once. Often it is not the fault of the program but a hardware or driver problem. Nonetheless, I wouldn't doubt that there are a few fatal bugs lurking inside Revit's code. Send the journal file into support and see what they can come up with.

bstephens.84030
2005-06-21, 08:09 PM
I've had this happen in Revit, Acad, Viz, you name it. But only in XP. I never had these problems in W2k or 98.

Barry S

Mr Spot
2005-06-21, 09:20 PM
Depending on how much work you've lost you may also be able to recover your work from the journal file. If its only an hour i wouldn't bother and providing your not using worksets.

patricks
2005-06-21, 11:59 PM
Depending on how much work you've lost you may also be able to recover your work from the journal file. If its only an hour i wouldn't bother and providing your not using worksets.

Yeah I guess I didn't get much done this morning, as I re-did everything in like half an hour. :p

I've had this happen in Revit, Acad, Viz, you name it. But only in XP. I never had these problems in W2k or 98.

Barry S

which is why when I build my new home computer, I will definitely be re-loading my win2k pro that I have on my old laptop right now... that thing once went over 2 months continuous up-time without ever needing a reboot.

sbrown
2005-06-22, 12:10 AM
We were having this happen only to find out it wasn't really revit closing, it was just windows farting if you will. If this happens again, click ctrl+alt+del and in task manager you should see the revit program, highlight it and click switch to and it will reappear.

patricks
2005-06-22, 12:15 AM
We were having this happen only to find out it wasn't really revit closing, it was just windows farting if you will. If this happens again, click ctrl+alt+del and in task manager you should see the revit program, highlight it and click switch to and it will reappear.

Nope, I checked task manager and it was indeed gone.

sbrown
2005-06-22, 06:58 PM
open the journal file and read the last few lines, it should tell you what happened or at least what commands were being done. You can also send that into revit.