PDA

View Full Version : Residential Roof Framing

ScottB
2004-01-13, 06:53 PM
Hello everyone! I pretty new to this forum though I've been lurking for a while now. I'm trying to create roof framing from which I can schedule actual lumber takeoffs. (i.e., quantity of 2x6x8, 2x6x10, etc.). I've accomplished this through modeling but the procedure to get each piece of lumber in place is very cumbersome. The beam tool is nice but it only snaps to structural walls. My rafters extend from eave to ridge, neither of which a beam will snap to. Any ideas?

aggockel50321
2004-01-13, 08:00 PM
Try making up your own framing families if the families in the structural library don't work for you.

Attached is a rafter family that I use when I want to see the framing. Creating the rest of the pieces is not that bad, & they'll schedule out. You could add some parameters to the rafter to get out things like board length, etc.

cccm1863
2004-01-14, 12:22 AM
I am new to Revit so I hope my question isn't silly.
How would one go about using this rafter family. I have put roofs on using the footprint method. Is this used in addition to a normal roof extrusion.

aaronrumple
2004-01-14, 03:42 AM
You can use this in addition to a footprint roof or you can have the footprint roof just represent the outer layers of the roof <sheathing shingles, etc... and place the framing underneath.

Not sure which I would do as we don't do wood roof framing plans <commecial steel>

ScottB
2004-01-15, 12:52 PM
Andrewg-
Nice rafter family. I'm using one similar. The problem that I am having is getting certain members in place, particularly jack rafters. How do you handle these?

aggockel50321
2004-01-15, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the compliment.

particularly jack rafters. How do you handle these?

I'll have to think about that. How about a family that's an assembly of the hip ridge & associated jack rafters? If these pieces are nested families, I'm not sure how they'll schedule out.

Might be able to do the same for framed openings, an assembly of the rafters & other framing members associated with the opening.

gregcashen
2004-01-15, 04:25 PM
A while ago I was playing around with nesting structural members in the window families. I was new and there were some obvious mistakes made...i.e. structural members in a window family don't make a whole lotta sense. But at least it allowed me to put in a header, jack studs, etc. and always have it in the right place. same could be done for doors and other openings.

ScottB
2004-01-15, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the input. My understanding is that families nested in a family do not schedule.

gregcashen
2004-01-15, 09:02 PM
Therein lies the rub
:(

georgiw
2023-07-30, 08:33 PM
Hello everyone! I pretty new to this forum though I've been lurking for a while now. I'm trying to create roof framing from which I can schedule actual lumber takeoffs. (i.e., quantity of 2x6x8, 2x6x10, etc.). I've accomplished this through modeling but the procedure to get each piece of lumber in place is very cumbersome. The beam tool is nice but it only snaps to structural walls. My rafters extend from eave to ridge, neither of which a beam will snap to. Any ideas?