PDA

View Full Version : Phasing troubles II

Nic M.
2004-01-14, 12:47 PM
(Moderators, if you feel these topics should stay togheter please do so)

I'm looking at phasing a little deeper, and have found some questions.

Situation:
existing wall and a new door in this wall

Settings:
views: new construction
filter: Show All
demo-material: see attached
Door family: symbolic lines added to the plan representation of the family

Current situation:
plan view: due to the symbolic lines in the door family this view looks like I want it to look
section view: only symbolic line added in the door family (for this view) is the representation for the glass. Though the view looks like it should. :?:
Elevation: were's my door :shock: ??

Am I doing something wrong?
Is it possible to show existing + new + demo in elevation (hidden line)?
Why do I have to add symbolic lines to my families in plan view but not in section view?
Please your opinion.
Thanks

PeterJ
2004-01-14, 01:55 PM
Look carefully at your phase filters and the filters that are applied to relevant views.

Nic M.
2004-01-14, 07:21 PM
Checked and double checked
Setting are as discribed

beegee
2004-01-14, 10:21 PM
Nic, try setting the Phase Demo Material surface pattern to Hidden Line.

shaunv68276
2004-01-15, 06:21 AM
Nic, The one thing I do notice is where is your Phase-new material and what do you have assigned under the new phase status. this could lead to your door not showing. the other thing is, is try another door family. I have duplicated your settings and have no prob. You might have a buggy door. Which has happened to me in the past. With regards to your symbolic lines. it seems that is the way the family was created. (lines in section and not in plan.)

Nic M.
2004-01-15, 01:22 PM
Thanks for looking at my problem
I spent last night on Phases.

What I want is to show Existing, New and Demo in elevation and plan view.

Try this:
new project, standard revit default template, add a wall, set this wall to the "existing" phase, load from the standard revit window family library "M_Opening".rfa", insert

the opening in the wall (component family),switch to the North elevation, notting shows ?? The phase filter is not touched, it stays at "show all".
I would expect to see a rectangular shape of the position and size of the opening.

This is what I come up with:

If you place a new door in an existing wall, the space in the wall gets a infilling element in demo material.
If you want to view the door (in a plan view) togheter with the demo infill, you need to add symbolic lines to the family of the door.

A new door or window will only display in elevation if: your family has elements that go from the exterior side or/to the interior side of the wall. Or if you add symbolic

lines to the family in the elevation views.

This is what I was unable to do:
Show a surface pattern on demo infilling elements in elevation view.

Can somebody confirm this as "normal" behavior of the program?
Personaly I would like that, when I add a door/window in an existing wall and the phase filter is set to "show all", I would see:
1 the existing wall
2 the new door/window
3 a pattern that indicates where the demolition should occur

In plan view this is OK, in elevation this is not OK

Sorry to keep ranting on this, maybe I'm to deep in it to see whats in front of me.
Beer time (Duvel)

ejc
2007-07-30, 06:26 PM
I am also having this problem now.

I will let you know if I find anything.

ejc

ejc
2007-07-30, 08:33 PM
Here it is for better or worse:

If you create a storefront, and go to a 3d view, you can see through the glass!

If you create a door or window with nothing in it (ex. no door slab), and you go to a 3d view, you can see through the glass!

In either case, elevations will not "see" through the "wall". Only the (PITB) "opening" object will allow you to punch a hole in a wall. (Pain In The Butt)

Apparently the for mentioned door/window example is more irritating with existing phase objects. I assume by adding "symbolic" lines to the family would fix this, but kinda defeats the purpose of BIM.

I am open to any further discussion, or tips on using the (PITB) openings.

Later,

ejc