PDA

View Full Version : Railing Dimensions in Plan

bowlingbrad
2005-06-23, 02:37 PM
Why is it that I can dimension from a stair tread line to a handrail extension only some of the time? I tried adjusting view range settings to no avail. If I can see the handrails, shouldn't I be able to dimension to them?

beegee
2005-06-23, 10:21 PM
One of the many weird things about stairs. I've found I can dimension to a railing if I pick the railing above the cut line. Doesn't work below though. :screwy:

Max Lloyd
2005-06-24, 11:05 AM
I see some really well drawn staircases coming out of Revit, but have no idea how the people are achieving them. Personally I find it very difficult to get exactly what I want on plan or 3d using the stair tool. I must improve my skills in this area as my new job involves some fairly elaborate designs in bespoke houses.
Anyone know of some advanced tutorials for staircases?

Sweetshelby
2006-05-04, 06:02 PM
Our office is having the same issue has anyone figured out why this happens? I noticed when it is a railing/stair going to many levels it is fine but a single railing on a single level stair and I cannot dimensions from the tread to the railing.

Thanks

patricks
2006-05-04, 06:54 PM
I see some really well drawn staircases coming out of Revit, but have no idea how the people are achieving them. Personally I find it very difficult to get exactly what I want on plan or 3d using the stair tool. I must improve my skills in this area as my new job involves some fairly elaborate designs in bespoke houses.
Anyone know of some advanced tutorials for staircases?

Most of the really advanced-looking stairs use the Revit components in unconventional ways. You can do a TON with balusters and handrails, but most of the techniques people are using are not readily apparent except perhaps to more advanced users. Many times you'll see a custom baluster family being used to create treads, or a railing profile used to create custom stringers, etc. I myself have a handrail defined with a C-channel profile in order to create the channel stringers used on steel stairs.

dhurtubise
2006-05-04, 07:40 PM
Could ref plane in the family do it like in Legends ?

baylorb
2008-10-29, 12:10 AM
this issue frustrates me as well. i add tiny detail lines in order to snap the dimension.

cliff collins
2008-10-29, 02:09 PM
I believe the problem is, almost always the handrails are round in profile--so Revit has trouble snapping to the tangent/round face of the circular object in plan.

I have been able to snap to the centerline of the railing, then use a model line
to offset say 3/4" from centerline to establish the ouside face of the pipe. I beleive I was able to snap to the end of the handrail? (don't recall for sure.)

Then dimension to the model line(s).

Yet another "workaround" as a result of curved/round objects--which Revit does a horrible job of modeling/documentation, IMO.

Good luck!

Cheers....