PDA

View Full Version : Challenging Outdoor Water Fountain

artitech
2005-06-23, 04:06 PM
How does everyone suggest that I model the attached image of an outdoor water fountain?

I am modelling it after some dust collection systems that are found outside some of the local industries....

It's a variety of cone shapes, cylinders, round pipes, etc...

I know it's a challenge, and it's only a small portion of a much larger project....!!!! ... ???

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-06-23, 04:23 PM
The fountain shapes themselves can easily be constructed using a variety of sweeps, extrusion and revolves. If you are looking to create flowing water... that's another thing. If a clean 'sheet' look is acceptable for the spilling water then that too can be modelled as a revolve. The standing water at the various platforms can also be modelled as solids. The Photoshop gurus may have some hints as to how to simulate water realistically.

Good Luck.

artitech
2005-06-23, 04:34 PM
I won't be modelling any water, just the fountain shapes / components.

What I was wondering though, was how to get all the different parts and shapes together in one form, mass?

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-06-23, 04:48 PM
Just the start but it should get you going I hope.
Use the CREATE on the Modeling design bar. Select the category that best suits (generic model, site, specialty equipment or whatever) and then build each piece as part of the same family. It is most efficient to combine pieces into one family rather than model each element as an independent family.
Take a look at the posted file and that might give you some idea.

artitech
2005-06-23, 05:04 PM
HCSL,

Thanks, that's exactly the beginning of what I am after. I never realized (beginner) that I can have more than one component in an "in-place family"...

I'll give it a go now.

C. Stechyshyn

bpayne
2005-06-23, 06:14 PM
Actually, the posted model could of been done with a single revolve. The support steel structure would be a seperate extrution or sweep.

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-06-23, 08:08 PM
Ah Brian,
You say Tomahto I say Tomehto (Canadian spelling ;-) ).
I agree. Lots of different approaches can be used. Just like any modeller Revit gives you the flexibility to do it the way that works best for you.
Cheers.

bpayne
2005-06-23, 08:13 PM
Right you are...I didn't mean to say that the way you did it wasn't right....but given that the conversation was about creating multiple masses in one family, I thought it was ironic that your model could of been accomplished in one mass. :wink: