PDA

View Full Version : Help with Mass Void

niki_funky
2005-06-24, 10:36 AM
"This Mass has no solid geometry for its Void Forms to cut. They must be deleted, or solid geometry added and cut."

Hi.This message pops up every time I try to make Void Form? What am I doing wrong?

regards
niki

here is the file

Max Lloyd
2005-06-24, 11:09 AM
after you have created your void form (extrusion, revolve etc) you must tell it to what to cut. Before closing the family editor, select the void, then select the 'cut geometry' button, then select the object / s that you would like the void to apply to.

niki_funky
2005-06-24, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the reply, but it doesn't help. I make the void, cut the roof and then I try close the Mass Family but the above Error message pops up.:confused:

Max Lloyd
2005-06-24, 11:26 AM
I have attached the file with a simple extrusion cutting the roof form. This worked fine.

However, I have had peculiar instances with voids previously. It would be helpful if you re-post the file with a solid modelled instead of a void for where you want the void to be.

niki_funky
2005-06-24, 11:38 AM
Ok.here is the file with the Solid Mass

regards
niki

Max Lloyd
2005-06-24, 11:42 AM
I can't find the solid? Where is it?

niki_funky
2005-06-24, 12:19 PM
it is there, it's just turn off in the View Properties-->Visibility

regards
niki

Max Lloyd
2005-06-24, 12:44 PM
silly of me not to have seen it! Anyway, I had the same error messages, so I tried again to create a void and picked the same lines that you did for your extrusion. It worked fine. I wonder what category you created the family in? I used generic models.

Trust thats ok.

Max.

Steve_Stafford
2005-06-24, 02:12 PM
"This Mass has no solid geometry for its Void Forms to cut. They must be deleted, or solid geometry added and cut." I assume that by mass you mean that you are using the massing tool to do this? You need to use an In-Place Family using the roof category to cut the roof.

niki_funky
2005-06-24, 02:24 PM
Thank you. That is the answer to my problem.

regards
niki