PDA

View Full Version : DWF Markup Import Issue

christopher.zoog51272
2005-06-26, 03:57 PM
We are trying out DWF composer here, and it works pretty well, except that when we bring mark-up back into Revit, the are shifted over slight. The don't appear in the exact same position that they were placed in the DWF. Anyone else have this issue?

Maybe I will try and update my dwf writer.

Thanks,
Chris

beegee
2005-06-27, 01:16 AM
That was a Known Issue.I don't know if the latest version of Composer fixes it.

christopher.zoog51272
2005-06-27, 02:25 AM
That was a Known Issue.I don't know if the latest version of Composer fixes it.
hmmm.. well I just download composer on friday, so I guess not. bummer.

-Z

christopher.zoog51272
2005-06-30, 03:39 PM
Ok, after investigating this further, I think I found a solution. It does not seem to be necessarily a revit problem or a DWF problem. As far as I can tell, the reason the markups shift to the wrong place upon linking them into revit is this: Although DWF Composer’s origin point and Revit’s origin point are the same, a revit title block family might not necessarily be at the same point as revit’s internal 0,0. In other words the edge of the sheet may not always be at 0,0 in revit. This can happen for a number of reasons, and can’t really be detected by the user because revit internal coordinate system is hidden from the user. Revit uses special tools to align coordinate systems of different files, be it a RVT or DWG.

In our case, our title block family was created nearly 5 years ago in revit 2.0, and over the years of upgrades it got shifted away from it’s default position at some point in time. It hasn’t mattered until now, as revit doesn’t “care” about exactly where the title block is in space. But DWF composer seems to mind a great deal, it wants the revit sheet edge to be at 0,0.

So the fix is fairly simple, in revit 8.0:

start a new project using the default residential or commercial template.
Open a sheet view and draw two drafting lines snapping to the lower left corner of the sheet. (see image 1)
Load your companies title block in the project, replace the default revit title block with your title block by using the type selection pull down.
If edge of your title block is still connected to the two drafting lines, you’re good to go. If not, drop in two dimensions measuring the offset. (be sure those dimension or set the highest accuracy (1/256”)) Record those dimensions. (See image 2)
Select your company’s title block and click edit family in the option bar. This will open your title block family for editing
Grab the entire title block and move it the distances you recorded earlier and in the appropriate direction.
Click the load into project button and say yes to the warning. You title block should in the right position now.
Save the family. Alternatively, may want to do a save as, at this point.
I suggest you load the new version of the title block into your custom template file, so that all new projects will start off with the corrected title block. Be sure to move any default views you have set up to the new locations, make sure they are still lined up on the sheet the way you want.

WARNING, if you reload this corrected title block into a current project, be prepared to shift all views by the same amount that you shifted the title block.

Hopefully, in the future, this won’t be a problem. I just wanted to get this fix out there to people need this issue solved now.

Hth,
-Z

aaronrumple
2005-06-30, 05:17 PM
A simpler way if you have AutoCAD is to make an "X" @ 0,0 and save that DWG.
Import the DWG using Origin to Origin. Make sure the lower left corner of the titleblock is at this "X".
Delete the AutoCAD file when done.

daniel.hurtubise70031
2005-06-30, 09:05 PM
Great idea Aaron :-)

JamesVan
2005-07-01, 03:15 AM
Nice pickup Chris and Aaron! This has been bugging me, too. Suspected it was the TB.

jbalding48677
2005-07-03, 05:19 AM
Thanks for tracking this down Zoog, I was wondering myself...