PDA

View Full Version : Wall Quantities

Batman
2005-06-28, 09:17 AM
I want to schedule my wall quantities in order to get accurate costings. Is it possible to get the quantities of materials that make up a wall so they can be separated for costing purposes?

I find that the wall area doesn't accurately represent either the internal wall surface or external wall surface area.:confused:

Is there anyway of controlling how the area is derived?

p.vicini
2005-06-28, 10:36 AM
This is an issue in wich the factory is working on
i noticed it since from November 2004. Search for this thread, i don't know how to put here the link: Revit doesn't calculate the real free area in a room?
They already fixed some problems, but was not possible to fix all issues inside the R8 release, i think what for us is simple..probably is not so easy to resolve managing complex softwares :-).
During the R8 bet test period Factory said in the next release those calculation problems will be fixed :-)

Shaun v Rooyen
2005-06-28, 02:24 PM
We use a QS. However. Exterior wall areas we normally add 5% to our formula. But there is a way to get very accurate wall areas for internal room finishes. This was passed on by a mate in th reseller side.
1. Create a Room Schedule using Room Name and Perimeter as the fields.
2. Add a Parameter, select Length, call it Wall Height.
3. Add a calculated value, name it Wall Area, select Area as the type and fill in the simple formula (case sensitive) of Wall Height * Perimeter. OK

Now in the Wall Height Field in the schedule fill the wall height in for that room. and presto! you have internal Wall areas for that room.

Having explained all that it does get complicated if there are different finishes to some of the walls in the same room.

Batman
2005-06-28, 06:57 PM
We use a QS. However. Exterior wall areas we normally add 5% to our formula. But there is a way to get very accurate wall areas for internal room finishes. This was passed on by a mate in th reseller side.
1. Create a Room Schedule using Room Name and Perimeter as the fields.
2. Add a Parameter, select Length, call it Wall Height.
3. Add a calculated value, name it Wall Area, select Area as the type and fill in the simple formula (case sensitive) of Wall Height * Perimeter. OK

Now in the Wall Height Field in the schedule fill the wall height in for that room. and presto! you have internal Wall areas for that room.

Having explained all that it does get complicated if there are different finishes to some of the walls in the same room.
Thanks for replies. In this situation I suppose I would also need to be mindful that any openings would not be deducted from the wall perimeter.

I think at this point I would have to utilize the same method of adding a percentage to the wall.

Zeds, what wall thickness is being when you add the 5%? Just so I can get an idea of how much to apply to mine.

Thanks again.