PDA

View Full Version : Can't create sweep?!

patricks
2005-06-28, 06:42 PM
I'm trying to put some crown molding around a room. I started an in-place family with a solid sweep. The crown molding is set as a profile, so I sketched the path around the room, and picked the crown profile from the pull-down list. When I hit Finish Sweep I get a message saying Can't Create Sweep and doesn't give me any more info. What could be happening here? :banghead:

cosmickingpin
2005-06-28, 06:48 PM
make sure you haven't got any path line segments shorter that the depth of the profile. I would ue hosted sweep instead of a in-place sweep.

I'm trying to put some crown molding around a room. I started an in-place family with a solid sweep. The crown molding is set as a profile, so I sketched the path around the room, and picked the crown profile from the pull-down list. When I hit Finish Sweep I get a message saying Can't Create Sweep and doesn't give me any more info. What could be happening here? :banghead:

patricks
2005-06-28, 06:51 PM
make sure you haven't got any path line segments shorter that the depth of the profile. I would ue hosted sweep instead of a in-place sweep.

well this is for the interior of a room. Hosted sweeps span an entire wall when first placed, and are pretty hard to get them all in there correctly, especially around windows and everything.

Plus some of this crown is coming out away from the wall around the windows, so I will have to use in in-place sweep there.

cosmickingpin
2005-06-28, 06:58 PM
That sounds like your problem. at your wondow bumps if you have lengths shorter than the profile depth then you will have a problem. You may need to split this sweep up into several ones to get the shorter lengths to work.

well this is for the interior of a room. Hosted sweeps span an entire wall when first placed, and are pretty hard to get them all in there correctly, especially around windows and everything.

Plus some of this crown is coming out away from the wall around the windows, so I will have to use in in-place sweep there.

patricks
2005-06-28, 07:04 PM
Well no it wouldn't work as just a single straight segment, either. The problem ended up being that one of the lines in the sweep profile extended just slightly past another line instead of joining to a clean corner (I had copied the lines from a detail previously created to make a profile family). Would have been nice if the family editor had alerted me that my profile lines were not making a proper closed shape when I tried to save it.

cosmickingpin
2005-06-28, 08:03 PM
Well you don't have to have a closed shape if it is a sweep path, it can either be a closed loop or one series of connected lines. I didn't want to mention that as a possibility as I though you would have checked that already.

Well no it wouldn't work as just a single straight segment, either. The problem ended up being that one of the lines in the sweep profile extended just slightly past another line instead of joining to a clean corner (I had copied the lines from a detail previously created to make a profile family). Would have been nice if the family editor had alerted me that my profile lines were not making a proper closed shape when I tried to save it.

patricks
2005-06-28, 08:06 PM
Well I don't know... when I trimmed the two lines together it worked fine. :screwy: