PDA

View Full Version : Program Developers Sense of Humor?

artitech
2005-06-28, 11:26 PM
I was up until 4:30am yesterday trying to finish my thesis presentation in Revit....the brain works very slow after 2am....I was wondering if the programmers that wrote Revit for AutoDesk were pulling a cruel joke on former AutoCad users when they wrote the "trim" command?

For 15 years "trim" meant to select the cutting edge and then select the portion of the line you want to trim "off...".

Now I have to retrain my brain to select the cuttinge edge and then select the portion of the line that I want to "remain".....

... was this an intentional change to mess us up?

daniel.hurtubise70031
2005-06-28, 11:37 PM
hey hey, they're you go you just figure out the most toughest thing in Revit when coming from AutoCAD.
Stop thinking AutoCAD
As soon as you make it, you will feel like Alice in Wonderland

Paul Monsef
2005-06-28, 11:58 PM
Maybe for 15 years you did it backwards? :)

artitech
2005-06-29, 12:09 AM
Paul,

Maybe that's why I was always on the contractor's back for running the walls in the wrong direction?

(I certainly hope I had it figured out after 15 years)

patricks
2005-06-29, 01:22 AM
Well I have used various CAD programs before, including TurboCAD (before college), formZ, Microstation, and AutoCAD. I've seen various programs do it different ways. I believe in Microstation you also select the portion of the line or object you want to keep, but I can't remember for certain.

Also, I believe Revit was not always under the Autodesk umbrella, I believe Autodesk acquired the Revit program some years back, isn't that correct?

Scott D Davis
2005-06-29, 03:49 AM
Also, the Revit "trim" tool functions in various ways:

Mode 1: Trims/extends to a corner (much like the AutoCAD Fillet command set to 0 radius) by picking the lines to keep.
Mode 2: Trim OR extend a line/wall to a selected cut line/boundary. Pick the cut plane/extend boundary, and select the line to keep/extend.
Mode 3: Trim OR extend multiple lines/walls to a selected cut line/boundary. Pick the cut plane/extend boundary, and select the lines to keep/extend.

Additionally, Revit shows you what it's going to trim/extend BEFORE you do it. If you hover over the line, you will see a temp extension line showing the result if you click to select!

artitech
2005-06-29, 01:09 PM
It is a slick tool, I just couldn't help thinking perhaps the programmers made the slight difference on which side of the cut line / boundary that you select the line to extend / trim as a joke while enjoying a few cool ones after work one day...

I do prefer the way it works in Revit, besides - when I first started in this profession, my trim command went like this:

- take your erasing shield out of the drawer
- grab either your hand held ersaer or the electric eraser hanging off your desk
- place the eraser shield "over the side of the line you want to trim"
- erase

Times keep changing..

irwin
2005-06-30, 04:26 AM
Since the same tool does both trim and extend, we had no choice but to keep the portion you select, rather than throw it away. After all, in the extend case there is no portion that gets thrown away.

artitech
2005-06-30, 11:14 AM
Irwin,

That explains it, and that throws my theory out the window ... it wasn't a decision made over a couple of beers to frustrate early AutoCad users....

You've got yourself one dandy of a program with a world of potential. It really is what our office has been waiting for for over 18 years.

irwin
2005-06-30, 02:28 PM
Irwin,

That explains it, and that throws my theory out the window ... it wasn't a decision made over a couple of beers to frustrate early AutoCad users....

You've got yourself one dandy of a program with a world of potential. It really is what our office has been waiting for for over 18 years.
Thank you.