PDA

View Full Version : naming the various "drawings" & views that are generated in the states of a project

k.armstrong
2005-06-29, 12:48 PM
Ok - so getting into Revit a bit more and will be more so in the coming months. Will be doing a lot of preliminary work, different schemes for projects etc, but sometimes we i even need to show a different colour on an area on exactly the same project (to highlight a space to one type of user, then another view (printed out drawing) to highlight a different space to a different user, but without any other highlighting. So already i can imagine generating lots of views.

Then there are the outputs of various design options (which I'm still to tackle)

and then theres developing the design and after all that construction drawings

How do people manage all these views and drawings?

Ken

aaronrumple
2005-06-29, 01:27 PM
Come up with a view naming scheme that makes sense for what your firm does.
I use a slightly modified version of the AIA CADD standards for DWG naming.

k.armstrong
2005-06-29, 01:44 PM
Thanks Aaron,

What about the different design stages - like sketch design and then developed design

I'm still making slight amendments to marketing plans for leasing agents when the building is about 2 weeks away from basically finished.

Also i tend to keep backup duplicates of some drawings when i'm using autocad on the old i have a feeling it may change back or i want to keep an electronic version of the state of play at a certain point in time -

how do you handle these

I started to use a simple A,B,C naming schema a - existing, B - sketch C - Working drawings

what about the myriad of drawing sheets

1st there is the sketch drawings, then on and on - do these all just stack up in the browser??

Ken

aaronrumple
2005-06-29, 02:01 PM
Our SD drawing use an SD-XX designation.
DD and CD use the same designations. Typically the project is archived at the end of each phase. I end up blowing the SD drawings out of the project as it moves to DD/CD. I may rename a view from SD to A-XXX or just create a new view depending on the situation.