PDA

View Full Version : Lot Coverage Calcs in Schedule

iru69
2005-06-29, 11:21 PM
I've spent the whole afternoon searching the forums and help on this - I can't quite figure it out.

I want to do a Lot Coverage study of my site plan.

I have a property line boundary, a building, and a deck. I'd like to list the areas of each individually, calculate the totals of the building and deck, and divide that by the lot area to obtain my lot coverage - all this listed in a schedule.

I'm able to create an area plan and list my building and deck sizes in a schedule. That's as far as I've gotten. I know that I can click the properties of the property line to get an area, but I can't figure out how to get the lot area into a schedule. Also, pointers on how to set up the calcs would be great.

I'd appreciate any help on this, thanks.

iru69
2005-06-30, 12:30 AM
Okay, I figured out how to schedule the lot area (in scheduling, it's under "Property Lines", not "Areas"... how silly of me).

But there doesn't appear to be any way to get the lot area into the same schedule as my floor area calcs?

And I'm not talking about the same sheet of paper... I know I can line the separate schedules up. I want to use the values in one schedule in another schedule - isn't that what all the "parameter" stuff is suppose to be about?

I still can't figure out what the formula is for adding up all the room areas to get one total within a schedule...

sbrown
2005-06-30, 01:02 AM
currently there is no way to automatically use values from one schedule in another. this has been a wishlist item for a few years. Hopefully we will see it soon. The workaround is to create a shared parameter that you then manually input the value from one schedule into the other, then create a calculated value to compare.

iru69
2005-06-30, 01:30 AM
Thanks for responding Scott. For my work, manually entering in a few numbers isn't a huge deal... it just seems kind of silly in Revit. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

I did figure out how to add stuff up: "Schedule Properties" > "Sorting/Grouping" > "Grand Totals" check box.

There's also a pretty neat trick to add up figures within the schedule in this thread (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=3808&page=1&pp=10). I've spent the last couple hours slowly dissecting it.

Chad Smith
2005-06-30, 04:28 AM
I've been using this method for a while to calculate the landscaping % of the site, and from what I can tell is the only way to go about it.

I too, would love to be able to add the property boundary area to the schedule, as this would be both easier and eliminate any chance of user entry errors.

Steve_Stafford
2005-06-30, 07:17 AM
I'll throw this out there...if you've got property lines defining the property and area boundary lines defining the other areas, what if you use area boundary lines for the property? You could just pick the property lines to define them. Then the area schedule calculates all the "areas" together. Keep the property lines so you can tag them, just over lay area boundary lines to get the value into the same schedule.

Just a thought for now?

iru69
2005-06-30, 03:47 PM
Then the area schedule calculates all the "areas" together.
Right, but that's also the problem - in order to do a lot coverage calc, you need to divide the *building* area by that total area. There doesn't appear to be any way to separate the property area from the building area once the the property area is defined as a floor area.

Let us know if you can think of a way around that...

EDIT: Steve, I just realized you were probably responding to Chad's issue - and it seems like your suggestion would work for that. Doesn't seem to work for my issue though...