PDA

View Full Version : Stair Riser to Max at 7.5"

residarchitect
2005-06-30, 09:09 AM
How can I get the stair calculator or Revit to give me a Riser of 7.5" and a tread depth of 10" plus 1" nosing for a total of 11"? I want to know how to force it to what I want.

Revit keeps giving mes me a riser height of 6 171/256" riser height and 11" tread. Out of the box the stair setting is 7" riser and 11" tread max. I can duplicate and rename that setting to create something else but have no clue as to how I then can get what result I want.

I want to modify the settings to drive my design and not let Revit force me to use what it prefers. Or if Revit really has no preference at least be able to let Revit know I want 7.5 rise and 11 tread and have it go from there.

When I go into calculator, nothing seems to make sense.

While I like a lesser rise than 7.5" there are times when I don't have the luxury of a lesser rise.

Help.

patricks
2005-06-30, 01:39 PM
Is this for residential design or commercial?

The default calculator rule goes by the standard generally accepted by most building codes, which says that any 2 adjacent risers plus the tread in the middle must add up to somewhere between 24" and 25". So 7+7+11 is 25" I know for the calculator settings, it only affects stairs created after you change the settings. It won't modify existing stairs.

If you're doing anything other than residential, a riser of more than 7" probably won't be allowed by code, unless you live outside of the US, and I don't know what codes are like in other countries.

residarchitect
2005-06-30, 03:27 PM
Yes this is for residential design only.

How can I get the system to give me what I desire

7.5" rise and 11" tread

Thanks

Henry D
2005-06-30, 04:31 PM
Try this: Start a stair sketch and select the type of stair you would like to use under Stair Properties (say Residential -Left open) - then go to Edit and input the Tread and Riser heights you want.

Allen Lacy
2005-06-30, 04:33 PM
You can edit or create a new stair type and change the maximum riser height and the minimum tread depth.

iru69
2005-06-30, 04:55 PM
Revit's going to divide the distance from level to level by the desired number of risers.

For instance, if your level to level height is 9', it's impossible to have equally spaced 7 1/2" risers. If you want exactly 7 1/2" risers, you need to change your level to level height to something that 7 1/2" will divide into equally.

Using the Stair Run tool and Stair Properties, you can tell Revit what you want the tread length to be and the desired number of risers.