PDA

View Full Version : Structural Columns moving on their own

pwhite
2005-06-30, 05:37 PM
We’ve had trouble with the structural columns in our file moving on their own. When they were first placed (these are taken directly from the Revit Library), I just placed one column and copied it to all the other locations on the grid because at the time with Release 7 it was easier because of the visibility issue. We seemed to think that copying might be the problem causing the movement so we later inserted each one individually on the grid using Release 8. Well, movement still occurred so then we decided to try pinning the columns and the grid which was done. I just got through changing a 6” wall that had a column centered in it into a double studded wall with 6” studs and 4” studs. The intent was for the column to remain in the center of the 6” stud wall once the change was made. Once I made the new wall and waited for it to update, the 6” stud portion of the wall remained in the same location as it was before with the 4” stud portion added to the interior just as I wanted. However, the structural column moved to center itself within the 10” dimension of the new wall leaving the column grid still centered in the 6” stud even though both were pinned. Also, movement with columns has occurred previously with nothing being done to the file. The columns will be in the proper location when we save the file and upon reopening it they've moved for no apparent reason. When working with these columns I've noticed that once selected (or highlighted) that a blue circle with a node in the center appears with each column which can be moved independently of the column itself. Just what is this blue circle and what purpose does it serve? My guess is that it's a shape handle but I have no idea what purpose it serves.

juha-pekka.rindell
2005-06-30, 07:54 PM
Well, the same happening here.

What we have done here is dimensioning all the columns to the grid with locks switched on. So far there has been no moving anymore ...

(using version 8 )

Andre Baros
2005-06-30, 08:12 PM
We had this issue and confirmed with Revit support that it's a bug. They're supposed to be fixing it soon, in the mean time, avoiding locking columns to grid lines.

Chad Smith
2005-06-30, 08:49 PM
Ah, I couldn't figure this one out. No matter how much I locked the columns to grids they kept moving. So the trick is to leave them unlocked.

gsHoeflinger
2005-06-30, 10:32 PM
Yeah total bug, just remember to uncheck the 'moves with grid' after selecting the column you have placed in the model.

Has anyone heard if this fix is to be realeased in a new build or a new verison? I got the impression it may be in a new build, what with structural columns being so important now with Revit Structure out on the market.

robmorfin
2005-06-30, 10:42 PM
Structural Columns moving

Make sure you don't use the moving structural columns family template, they are suppossed to walk 3" per file save.

BWG
2005-07-01, 12:15 AM
With all these bugs, wouldn't it be better for them to fix them rather than trying to add new functionality?

Chad Smith
2005-07-01, 12:50 AM
Others, including myself, wonder the same thing.

pwhite
2005-07-01, 06:56 PM
I've sent this problem to the Revit Helpdesk. They've forwarded it to the development team. Let's hope they have a solution soon! I'm relieved to know that I'm not the only one who has experienced this.

beegee
2005-07-02, 07:16 AM
Do you think it could be anything to do with this known issue (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=20391)?