PDA

View Full Version : Low slope roof yet again.

mikemck
2005-07-01, 04:27 AM
I am trying to create a low slope roof (1/8" per foot) with a parapet all around.

After reading about 100 messages, I got as far as creating a sloped reference plane and set it as the work plane.

At this point I can't create the roof sketch. Revit wants the work plane to be parallel to the screen.

How should I proceed from this point.

Thanks for any assistance.

This is my first attempt to do a whole project with Revit including construction documents. There are a lot of times when I think I should have finished it in AutoCAD because it is so slow going and the client is eager for me to finish.

Mike

PeterJ
2005-07-01, 04:38 AM
Why not use an extruded roof, then you can simply draw in whatever angle you require in a view that is perpendicular to the extrusion (typically a gable end elevation).

Scott D Davis
2005-07-01, 04:46 AM
Do you have a sketch of what you are trying to do? Sounds to me like a simple 'footprint' roof, with a single sketch line set to slope-defining at 1/8" per foot would be all you need.

Also, are you sure 1/8" per foot is allowed? Most "Flat" roofs have an absolute minimum of 1/4" per foot.

mikemck
2005-12-13, 02:57 AM
I am now on my third project since I posted the initial message.

As PeterJ suggested, an extruded roof seems to work well for this, expecially if the slope isn't a nice even 1/4" per foot.

In my case, the slope of the steel joists was set by block coursing and was not exactly 1/4"

If I tried to do it with a roof by footprint I would have to figure out what the actual slope is and would have to worry about how well the bottom of the roof mated with the top of the joists.

I set the slope of the joists using named sloping reference planes.

When I did the roof extrusion I drew the profile using an offset from these reference planes equal to the roof thickness.

After creating the roof I had to adjust the ends so they terminated at the inside face of the parapet.

Mike

ejburrell67787
2005-12-13, 10:38 AM
If I tried to do it with a roof by footprint I would have to figure out what the actual slope is and would have to worry about how well the bottom of the roof mated with the top of the joists.

I set the slope of the joists using named sloping reference planes.Roof by footprint still looks like your best option. Just place an angular dimension in section (to the joists or the ref plane) and you'll get the angle you need for the roof slope. Structural members you will need to place using the reference plane for their slope though.

sbrown
2005-12-13, 02:30 PM
don't make it all in one piece, you can create triangles or squares with slope arrows to the roof drains, repeat as needed any you get what you want. Sometimes its not necessary to use one roof sketch.

bowlingbrad
2005-12-13, 03:15 PM
Another take...
Don't over model. Check to see if you really need to model the low sloped roofs. If you don't, then you can just use a flat roof with model lines showing the hips and vallies. If you do, then I would suggest modeling them with slope arrows.

Merlin
2005-12-13, 10:39 PM
Another take...
Don't over model. Check to see if you really need to model the low sloped roofs. If you don't, then you can just use a flat roof with model lines showing the hips and vallies. If you do, then I would suggest modeling them with slope arrows.

Now THERE'S sound advice....this could become a new thread....just how much modelling is enough....I know an old boss had a piece of me once when I got carried away modelling up a "tricky" part of my model....

As he put it (animatedly),
"...who's going to care? You're going to take up to an hour to do something that's showing in one location in the drawings and can be represented by 2 lines and a note!"

I took his advice...(that time! ;-b )

John Mc

janunson
2005-12-14, 02:10 AM
Excellent point... Often when people in my office ask me how to do something in Revit, my first question is Why... There's a lot of time to be spent modeling thingsw that just don't matter. If your goal is a perfect model, that's one thing, but if you're working toward construction drawings, use the tools when they make the job easier, not when they make it harder!

aaronrumple
2005-12-14, 04:53 AM
This is a good use of Model lines instead of detail lines. Place the model lines on the roof surface and then they will be visible for all roof views.

sbrown
2005-12-14, 01:44 PM
You can also make this roof using mass tools, then roof by face.