PDA

View Full Version : HELP with Site

artitech
2005-07-02, 01:00 AM
This is my first site with Revit....

I tried the CAD plan with plines set to elevations to create a contoured site in Revit. I got it to work reasonably well but am having some difficulties:

(1) My CAD plan is on Level 1. When I am working on my site contours from "SITE" level, I can't see my CAD plan, no matter what I do.... and I need to reference lines, etc. on it... How do I get the CAD plan to show through to my site?

(2) Can I draw actual contour lines in Revit, or can I only use "points" for spot elevations?

SkiSouth
2005-07-02, 01:53 AM
This is my first site with Revit....
(1) My CAD plan is on Level 1. When I am working on my site contours from "SITE" level, I can't see my CAD plan, no matter what I do.... and I need to reference lines, etc. on it... How do I get the CAD plan to show through to my site?
Switch to wireframe mode in the view. The plan will show then.

(2) Can I draw actual contour lines in Revit, or can I only use "points" for spot elevations?

You can draw detail lines, but they will not have any elevation information associated with them, nor will the grade reflect properly in 3d. Use points to add detail to the final grade you want (rather easy actually- select an elevation to work with, pop it around the site, and viola a contour ---)

Hope this helps.

artitech
2005-07-02, 02:06 AM
Skisouth,

Thanks for the input.

The "wireframe" doesn't seem to be helping me though. Are there other settings that I may be overlooking?

I can't upload the file, it's too large....sorry.

beegee
2005-07-02, 06:46 AM
(1) Go to your level 1 drawing and Duplicate with Detailing. Now apply a view template for Site Plan. Rename this view _ Site Plan New.
Go to the original Site Plan, rename Site Plan Old. Copy and paste any view specific information form this view to Site Plan New.

(2 ) Having imported your dwg site plan, with contours set to z heights, select it and under Site Alternatively, import the dwg Site plan to Level 1. On the Site tab of the Design Bar, click Toposurface. On the Design Bar, click Use Imported. Place the cursor over the imported symbol and when the edges highlight, select it. When you select the import symbol, you are prompted to select the layer that will generate the elevation points. The import is converted to elevation points and contours. Finish Surface. Contours intervals can be defined, together with major and minor linestyles.

Skisouth,

Thanks for the input.

The "wireframe" doesn't seem to be helping me though. Are there other settings that I may be overlooking?

I can't upload the file, it's too large....sorry.

artitech
2005-07-02, 11:56 AM
Thanks,

The copy and paste of Level 1 to Site Plan was the way to go... wonder why it wouldn't show through when I set it as an underlay to my Site?

sbrown
2005-07-02, 12:33 PM
when you imported it , did you chose current view only? If so then that is why.

artitech
2005-07-02, 04:22 PM
sbrown,

That's exactly what I did..... thanks for "de-mystifying" this for me.