PDA

View Full Version : Water Subregion

artitech
2005-07-02, 04:24 PM
I have a site that is bordered by water and have some docks, etc.. that hover over the water. If I apply a subregion to represent the water in the lake, will it cover over my docks in plan view? Or will I still see the docks above the water (which is what I am hoping).

artitech
2005-07-02, 05:39 PM
Okay, I guess the best way to find out is to try it for yourself....

It does work. The subregion applies to the toposurface (as the instructions say) so any elements occuring above the toposurface show through properly. Perfect!

mtogni
2005-07-02, 08:36 PM
perfect is a greater word...
In fact if you cut a topo with subregions you will see them (contours and inside) all the way white filled instead with topo material so you have to apply a filled region to cover the blank. It's a bug. One more.

LRaiz
2005-07-02, 10:08 PM
Water should be flat while your topo subregion is visibly not flat. I suspect that it may be more appropriate to use toposurface to represent ground only and use other means for water and docks.

patricks
2005-07-03, 12:33 AM
I would have used the toposurface for ground, both above and below water, and then used an in-placed solid with a water texture to represent the water, then join the geometry of the solid and the toposurface (if that's possible).

Tobie
2005-07-03, 12:49 AM
i have done the same, use the toposurface for "earth" and then created a site family called water. you don't have to join the two. the toposurface will show as soon as it gets above the top of water height.
good luck.