PDA

View Full Version : Conversion From Inventor-10 To Inventor-9

amey
2005-07-05, 06:08 AM
Dear Friends,

Recently I got updated my Inventor from Inventor-9 to Inventor-10. I am very happy with the added features provided in Inventor-10. I made full utilization of these features to create some models for my customers and send them. But my customers still have Inventor-9 only. They are not able to open these models in Inventor-9. So they send them back to me.
I am trying to convert these models to Inventor-9. But not getting it. Can anybody help me, how can I convert these models to Inventor-9.

Thanks

Ron Oldenbeuving
2005-07-05, 07:54 AM
Dear Friends,

Recently I got updated my Inventor from Inventor-9 to Inventor-10. I am very happy with the added features provided in Inventor-10. I made full utilization of these features to create some models for my customers and send them. But my customers still have Inventor-9 only. They are not able to open these models in Inventor-9. So they send them back to me.
I am trying to convert these models to Inventor-9. But not getting it. Can anybody help me, how can I convert these models to Inventor-9.

Thanks
Sorry Amey, but there is no backward compatibility in Inventor (something a lot of people consider somewhat ridiculous).

1. If your customers only want to look at your iam or ipt files, you can save them as dwf files, which your customers should have no problem opening.

2. Your idw files can also be saved as dwf, which your customers should not only be able to look at, but also print.

3. Should your customer need to have solid models, I suggest you save your iam & ipt as step or sat and send them to your customer.

I wish I had better news for you, but I am in the same boat.

Hope this helps.

amey
2005-07-06, 06:27 AM
Dear R.Oldenbeuving,

Thank you very much for the interest you shown in my problem. As I am attaching some VBA Code with the models, my customers needs to open these files as .ipt & .iam format. They don't need it in .sat or .step format.

Because of your reply, I got confirmation that there is no such type of conversion possible in Inventor.

Anyway untill I get solution on this problem, I will continue to work only in Inventor-9.

Thanks again

Amey

jonathan.landeros
2005-07-06, 03:34 PM
Do they actually need the feature based intelligence of the model, or is just the geometry necessary?

Could you export a sat or a step, save it in R9 and use that? Granted, the feature history would be lost (this could be the deal breaker), but if you VBA code isn't changing geometry, then it may still allow you to use R10 and talk to the folks using R9.

amey
2005-07-07, 06:07 AM
Dear jonathan.landeros,

Thanks for your reply.

I made a hopper in Inventor-10. and attach a VBA routine which is changing geometry of hopper as per customer requirement, say length of hopper. Is it possible to keep the connectivity of the model and VBA routine after exporting it in .sat format?

Thanks again.

Amey

jonathan.landeros
2005-07-08, 12:11 AM
If you need to change the geometry, at this point, I'd bet money it's probably going to be faster to rebuild the model in R9 and link the VBA through there. There are some tools that allow the editing of 'dumb' solids. But by the time you got everything working (if it's even possible), you could probably could have rebuilt the hopper several times over.