PDA

View Full Version : Web Publishing

rhys
2004-01-19, 03:41 PM
Anyone tried the web publishing option in v6 yet. My first attempt is at
www.owenconsultancy.com
go to Project Publishing. The option in Revit only produces jpeg unfortunatly not pdf's or dwf. But its a start, proper web publishing is one for the Wishlist.

Phil Palmer
2004-01-19, 04:12 PM
NIce one Rhys,

I really like the way the jpeg images have the 'hyperlinks' in them to other views as well

good old Revit

Roger Evans
2004-01-19, 04:16 PM
Very Very Interesting

Who did the revamp of your website by the way??

I was impressed before with the spec on some of your construction methods.

Guess we will all be using this ~ Huge potential.

Lets see some more then

Roger

rhys
2004-01-19, 08:05 PM
Thanks for comments Roger
My site was revamped by me and Front Page and a lot of trial and error.
I'm trying to add more Revit pages but am struggling with the frames it produces!!! I may be sometime as they say. :D

rhys
2004-01-19, 08:48 PM
Well not that long I managed to work out how revit sets up the folders and frames and have added a few more.

LRaiz
2004-01-19, 11:12 PM
Rhys,

We really expected that users would take Revit folder structure that already contains some folders and use it as is. You may find you work easier if instead of reprogramming Revit output you set up a dropdown listing all your projects. Then once user selects a project you might use Revit output to populate both browser frame and view frame.

Leonid
P.S. Good work doing some web programming.

Scott D Davis
2004-01-19, 11:34 PM
ok, I'm having one of those moments....where can I find this Publish to Web function? I swear I've looked at every toolbar and pull down a half-a-dozen times.....

Cathy Hadley
2004-01-20, 12:30 AM
You can create a web site that links HTML versions of views and sheets in your projects.

From the File menu, choose Export, Image.
Under Export Range, select Selected views/sheets.
Click Select to specify the desired views and sheets to include.
Set the output to the desired path and file name.
Under Output in the Export Image dialog box, select Create web site.
Click OK.
Autodesk Revit creates a web page.

I think I have one of THOSE lives....

Cathy

beegee
2004-01-20, 12:31 AM
From the File menu, choose Export, Image.
Under Export Range, select Selected views/sheets.
Click Select to specify the desired views and sheets to include.
Set the output to the desired path and file name.
Under Output in the Export Image dialog box, select Create web site.
Click OK.

Scott D Davis
2004-01-20, 12:35 AM
Cathy, beegee, thank you! You two must be connected on some other level......

rhys
2004-01-20, 07:50 AM
Yes Leonid is right. The easiest way is to export to a set of folders created by Revit for each project. Then point to these from a drop down or from another web page or navigation bar. But I had fun, and it didn't take too long :lol:

Roger Evans
2004-01-20, 10:42 AM
Like the new sheets

I get the feeling that I could do with a zoom tool

Roger

rhys
2004-01-20, 01:01 PM
Yes this is not whip ( Autodesks viewer) enabled the Revit Export only provides Jpegs so its really only suitable for simple drawings. I used to use the Whip viewer on my old website, worked ok if visitors had a broadband connection and it allowed pan zoom etc of the whole Autocad file. I'll do some research to see how or if this could work with Revit.

Phil Palmer
2004-01-20, 01:07 PM
Rhys,

Revit can alos print direct to DWF format for the web pages
and again ALL necessary hyperlinks will work as they do in PDF and the export to web page feature in 6.0.

There is a seperate DWF writer to download from the revit download area if you haven't got it already.

It works very well.

rhys
2004-01-20, 02:20 PM
Thats my reasearch done then thanks Phil I'll try it

bclarch
2004-01-20, 02:58 PM
Boy, biggest car wash that I've ever seen. :D

rhys
2004-01-20, 03:12 PM
You didn't really believe all that about British cars being compacts did you :lol:

rhys
2004-01-21, 04:07 PM
For those interested in web publishing I have now added a new project which displays jpeg's as before, but when they are clicked upon a new window opens with the whole project as a dwf file. This requires Autodesk Express free veiwer, which if you haven't got it already is downloaded automatically from Autodesk. I've set up just one project Vale Farm, on my web www.owenconsultancy.com.
The whole thing is really only practicable with a Broadband conection and even then the downloads take sometime with very little obvious activity from the DWF viewer. Drawings can be viewed panned and plotted -not that you'd want to they are only row houses :)

beegee
2004-01-21, 10:16 PM
Hi Rhys,

Very cool 8)

( The download time is a test of patience though........particularly as nothing appears to be happening.)

rhys
2004-01-21, 11:22 PM
I know its weird DWF viewer just sits there for a min before the download bar starts working. I don't know if its my html code or just how the veiwer works. Need a HTML or DWF expert to help. I've reached the limit of my incompetence as they say. Any DWF experts or html wiz's listening?

Scott D Davis
2004-01-22, 01:13 AM
mine had a long pause, for a different reason: it automatically detected I didn't have the express viewer on my new machine, and then proceeded to install it. Of course there was the pop-up which has the "are you sure you want to do this" warning, and the checkbox that says "Always trust content from Autodesk." hmmmm....better NOT check that box! :shock:

aggockel50321
2004-01-23, 06:36 PM
For those interested in web publishing I have now added a new project which displays jpeg's as before, but when they are clicked upon a new window opens with the whole project as a dwf file.

Rhys,

How did you accomplish the above step - by clicking on the jpg the dwf viewer opens & brings up the drawing???

Love it, want to try it with building floorplans here...

rhys
2004-01-23, 06:51 PM
The autodesk Express viewer code is added to a seperate web page with the required drawingfile.dwf included. The jpeg then just has a hyperlink to the page containing the dwf code.
The original version of the dwf had all the project sheets on it and it took a lfairly long time to load. If you look at the Vale farm project on my website you will see that now in addition to the single sheet dwf I have also added a pdf hyperlink as well. The 2 files are for comparison DWF is very slightly smaller and has higher resolution. The pdf is slighly less sharp. They both print OK but the PDF seems to clip the sheet borders slightly. The big advantage with PDF is nearly everyone has it already where as with dwf they have to wait for a active x control to download.This takes ages. The PDF viewer has a splash screen which tells you thats somthing is happening with dwf everything goes dead until it opens. I'm not sure which option to adopt, pdf feels slicker but there isn't an option in the version of the pdf writer with Revit to use multiple sheet, there is with dwf.
have a go
Rhys