PDA

View Full Version : new releases & content libraries

Les Therrien
2004-01-20, 12:41 AM
what is everyone doing with there content libraries when a new release comes out.

i have only been around since 5.0 so have only experienced one new major release.

for 5.1 i have a folder with typical revit content plus a master format type library that I created.

i have created another similar folder for version 6.0 but i am guessing that i probably do not need this as it may be redundant!? :?

the file I use as my standard is the master formated library. could i just add new 6.0 files to the 5.1 ???

beegee
2004-01-20, 12:49 AM
I'm keeping the 5.1 content around for a while. I have the 6.0 content in a separate folder.
I'm also keeping the 5.1 program and using it to complete current projects rather than upgrading them. ( Which requires true grit sometimes. )

Very conservative moi. :shock:

mlgatzke
2004-01-20, 12:50 AM
I don't know how other people feel, but I don't do anything with my content libraries. I've come to like seeing that little "One Time Upgrade" dialog box. As far as the MasterFormat divisions, I've found that dividing everything into those categories is too time consuming (especially if you're going to keep updating and reloading libraries every new release). I have left everything divided as it is direct from the Revit download site. However, I have created a few of my own folders for material that doesn't fit within their existing folder structure.

gregcashen
2004-01-20, 12:55 AM
I'm with beegee. I have kept 5.1 stuff around and made new 6.0 folders. I put them in a separate directory, though. I put all of my Revit Stuff in a folder called My Documents\My CAD Stuff\Revit Stuff\6.0 or \5.1 as appropriate. That way, when I back up My Documents, it gets backed up as well. I just repoint Revit to the appropriate directories.

Les Therrien
2004-01-20, 01:03 AM
Thanks!
It sounds like I am on track.
I have no intention of deleting the 5.1 program or the files.
I just wasn't sure if I should combine them in one folder or keep them separate.

:lol:

gregcashen
2004-01-20, 01:05 AM
separate for sure

cphubb
2004-01-21, 04:02 PM
We installed the 6 content in seperate folders initially since we didn't upgrade to 6 right away. However just before we made the switch I copied all of our 5 content and used the upgrade utility and moved any changed items into the 6 folder. So we now have duplicate folders for 5 and 6. I suspect we will delete the 5 folder in a year or so like we did with 4.5.

BTW this system has worked well for both upgrades. People can easily find the content we have modified and any new content that comes with 6. The key is keeping a list of familys that have been modified and controlling who can modify those families.

David Conant
2004-01-21, 05:00 PM
Upgrading families to 6.0 before using them is important. Only those upgraded families can be exported from a project into new rfa files.