PDA

View Full Version : Taking revit home - how to manage User

Alex Page
2005-07-08, 04:37 AM
OK...thought this would be easy but I seem to be missing something.

We have a workset enabled Revit project and I wanted to work on it at Home, therefore I saved my loal copy (onto my flash card) relinquishing everything and took it home....But when I opened it up at home I am informed that I shouldnt be in the file since it is owned by anouther user (my username at work) and I cant save, change do anything with it!
Tried copying the central file, but then Im told that the central file is missing and to make any changes I need to save my local copy at home as a new central file....

Its friday afternoon here :beer: , am I not engaging my brain properly? :confused: ...what have I forgotton?

Steve_Stafford
2005-07-08, 06:01 AM
Just to beat you up :) ...when you left work you should have checked out everything you intended to work on and saved the local but not relinquished the worksets. This way the central file has these things checked out to you and no one else can decide to come in and work on the same stuff.

Since you didn't you can still work but as Revit calls it "Editing at Risk". This means that someone else can check out the worksets and do work which will leave you and the other to arm wrestle to decide who loses their work.

Your username at the office and at home can be the same. You just need to change it before you open the local copy at home. With Revit open but no project or the default project (just not the local file) choose SETTINGS > OPTIONS > Workset Username > supply the same username that you use at the office. You have now faked out Revit and it thinks you are the "office" you...now you can open the local file. You'll get a warning that it can't find the central file but you can work and sync up later.

All this said, I find that it can be difficult to predict everything you need to check out before you leave. Which means you may find yourself desperate to edit something you didn't check out first. The same Editing at Risk applies naturally, should you decide to do it anyway.

HTH

Alex Page
2005-07-08, 06:16 AM
Sorry, you're right, I wrote down exactly the opposite of what I did (in regard to relinquishing).....will try what you suggested

...arrrrhhhhh, I see...

You know, Im starting to believe that this forum is so good (thanks Steve and a lot of others) that Autodesk have decided they dont need a good help menu...I tell you, why dont Autodesk just throw away the help menu and just have a link to this forum!