PDA

View Full Version : Reference Plane question

minka10
2005-07-09, 05:56 PM
Simple question:
I drew a line in horizontal reference plane (or level) and need to construct a vertical projection of that line onto the sloping reference plane below (see attached jpg). The result should be 2 perfectly aligned lines when observed from the horizontal plane view (although the projected line is actually longer). The use for this would be to draw various paint lines on a sloping slab surface, based on 2D plans created in AutoCad.

SkiSouth
2005-07-09, 07:40 PM
So whats the question.

minka10
2005-07-09, 08:32 PM
The question is: how do I project the line on a sloping reference plane?

beegee
2005-07-09, 11:18 PM
Tools,Workplane, Pick a Plane.

Select an appropriate view from which this workplane is visible and trace the line drawn on the horizontal reference plane. You are drawing it on the sloping reference plane you picked. You can turn on workplane visibility to make the process easier. ( Tools >Workplane > Workplane Visibility )

Joef
2005-07-09, 11:23 PM
If you import your drawing then set your work plane to the reference plane that you want the lines on, you can create the lines on that plane by picking the AutoCAD lines. They will be drawn on the reference plane. Of course they must be model lines for this to work. You will see when you select the lines that they are being "projected" onto the reference plane. I hope this is what you are after.

minka10
2005-07-10, 05:54 AM
Joef, beegee:

That is exactly what I have done. Unfortunately the line on the sloping work plane gets shifted to one side and is not aligned with the original line when viewed from horizontal plane.
Lines get perfectly visually aligned if a view is oriented by SLOPING plane, but this is not what I need because my final print view must be oriented by HORIZONTAL plane.

beegee
2005-07-10, 06:18 AM
Looking at your image in your first post, it appears you are attempting the same situation as shown in my attached image.

The heavy sloping line was drawn directly above the green diagonal line on the ground plan, with the work plane set to a 45° plane and viewed from above ( using either the First Level Plan or Site Plan View )

minka10
2005-07-10, 07:26 PM
beegee:
Yes! Except my reference plane angle is different. I will try to replicate your image.

minka10
2005-07-11, 05:35 AM
beegee:

I did my best and still it does not work. I actually managed to"project" a line onto the sloping reference plane in 3D view by using additional vertical reference plane and orient by plane command (which is too complicated when there is lots of lines to be drawn). But when I try to copy this line by snapping to lines in horizontal reference plane, revit would not allow me to do that.
I am obviously missing some basic Revit concept here.

beegee
2005-07-11, 06:37 AM
You won't be able to snap the lines since their planes are not parallel. The end point may snap if it touches the other line. ( as mine does ).
You don't need to use orient by plane either, as you wish to draw on an inclined plane, but view that drawing from an orthogonal plane. Make sense ? Set the plane and then draw the line viewed from one of the upper level planes.
Maybe you could explain exactly what you want to achieve by doing this. There may well be a simpler solution.

Wes Macaulay
2005-07-11, 12:35 PM
Could you not just draw a wall that projects below the reference plane and then attach the wall bottoms to the reference plane in an elevation or section view?

minka10
2005-07-11, 05:14 PM
Wes:
You are right. That is probably the easiest way. I can simply trace wall footprint on a sloping reference plane.
Thanks everyone for your help.