PDA

View Full Version : 2d lines

Steve Jager
2005-07-11, 02:53 PM
Why does it take Revit less than a second to create complicated curtain grids, but ten seconds to delete a lousy 2d line or arc?

Any takers?

This has been extremely annoying since we had them firts put in. I hope they address this small but critical issue.

christopher.zoog51272
2005-07-11, 03:00 PM
Why does it take Revit less than a second to create complicated curtain grids, but ten seconds to delete a lousy 2d line or arc?

Any takers?

This has been extremely annoying since we had them firts put in. I hope they address this small but critical issue.
Model or drafting lines?

I'm not seeing any slowdown, how about some more information? Where and how is the line being used.

-Z

Steve Jager
2005-07-11, 07:17 PM
Using Drafting Lines (not model) for design of possible floor pattern layouts, design ideas. I use them in plan view most of the time and occassionally in drafting and sectional views.
I use them in conjunction with reference lines and planes to quickly create patterns for design, centerlines for registration, create complex geometry for region fills and such, simply a whole variety of things.

Scott Hopkins
2005-07-11, 07:20 PM

Steve,

I know what you are talking about. If you get too many detail lines going at one time, Revit will really start to slow down. You will notice this most with importing drawings from Autocad. Manufacturer's window extrusions and the like can really bring things to a crawl in Revit. It is particularly bad when you have many lines at various angles.

I think what is happening is that Revit is looking for relationships between the various detail lines to see how moving one line affects the others. Typically detail lines are not a problem but at some point you will reach a critical mass of too many detail lines. One way around this is to group detail lines into families. Once in families and then loaded into a project you typically will not experience the same problems.

christopher.zoog51272
2005-07-11, 07:52 PM
Ahh.. I see now. It has been requested before that Revit could have a truly "dumb" line that doesn't look to connect to anything else.

Personally I don't use alot of drafting line in plan, guess thats why I've never noticed it.

Chirag Mistry
2005-07-11, 08:58 PM
Little quicker way of deleting things in revit is to press delete key and then select objects.

sbrown
2005-07-11, 09:05 PM
for studying floor patterns I like to create a few different model patterns, diff size tiles and paint those onto the floor, then add some lines in addition to those. another thing for accent tiles is to create some generic floor based families(don't have to be floor based, just have a small thickness , these can be quickly copies, mirrored, arrayed etc.

sjsl
2005-07-12, 03:00 AM
Thanks for the replies and sbrown's tip. I will definitely give these things a try.

rod.74246
2005-07-12, 09:48 AM
Hehe this reminds me of my first post on 2d lines. The answer is change your mindset and avoid them wherever you can. There are much faster ways of doing things in Revit. The danger seems to be thinking of it as a drafting rather than modelling tools.

I will see if i can dig up the thread i started. From the responses we changed our attitude and really opened our eyes up.

rod.74246
2005-07-12, 09:51 AM
ahh here we go. There was a lot of useful info and links in this post.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=19912&highlight=detail+lines