PDA

View Full Version : Roof light cutting two roofs.

Paul P.
2005-07-12, 01:27 PM
I've got a situation where I am using two roofs, one for the finish and one for the structure as the finish extends beyond the roof structure. The problem is that I need to put roof lights in the roof but the roof light will only cut one of the roof's, either the finish or the structure depending on which one you place the roof light.

But I have a got a situation where a roof light is cutting both (see attached file), I cant remember what I was doing at the time but when I came back to it after the weekend it was like this. If I try to place another of same roof light into the roof it only cuts one of them but I can copy the one already in the roof and it will cut both. I don't know how this has happened, has anyone seen this before or could explain how this has happened.

Regards, Paul.

sbrown
2005-07-12, 02:59 PM
I think if you use join geometry and join the 2 roofs together assuming they are parallel and touching it should cut through both. If not you will have to create an opening in the 2nd roof.

PeterJ
2005-07-12, 02:59 PM
I am guessing that you have somehow joined geometry between two bits of roof or perhaps one roof and the rooflight....

In the future you may find it easier to model a main roof and a skirt with the skirt being just the finish that carries on, or by using a fascia (hosted sweep) that is the continuing finish. I do this sometimes to make eaves boards and gutters behave correctly.

It is a case for a hosted sweep void former as such a piece of geometry might cut back your roof to leave the finish only.

Paul P.
2005-07-12, 03:21 PM
Scott, Pete thanks for the reply.

I've tried to repeat what has happened by joining the geometry of both roofs and the roofs and the roof light but just cant get the same result. I was just wondering how I'd actually done this.

I've not really decided yet which method I will use to achieve what I want, will try your suggestions though to see which works best. Thanks for the help.

Regards, Paul.