PDA

View Full Version : Tape Measure Tool Rounding

bmarler
2005-07-12, 03:24 PM
Is there a way to control the rounding of the Tape Measure Tool, the Project rounding is set to 1/16" but the Tape Measure gives measurements to 1/256"? I would like it to round to and even number prefered?

roy.70844
2005-07-12, 03:43 PM
Try Settings menu...Project units
Edit the Length format.

This may have an effect on dimensions so you will need to over-ride the unit format in the dimension style if you want a different rounding.

Hope that helps.

Roy

patricks
2005-07-12, 04:48 PM
I actually prefer for actual dimensions to round, but the tape measure tool to show a more exact number, like to the 1/256 fractional number. That way if there are discrepancies because of rounding in the actual dimensions, I can find them using the tape measure tool.

It is my mindset that you don't want too much rounding going on when using a computer for drawing. The computer is going to measure things to very exact tolerances, but if you set dimensions to display as rounded, you might start getting discrepancies when several rounded dimenisons are added up over a long distance.

anthony.67953
2005-07-12, 05:42 PM
How do you check the accuracy of your drawings with tape measure. One at a time?
I check the drawings dimensions by changing my project dimensions to 1/256 and then back to 1/16". I find that easier.

" I too wish the tape measure was changeable - since I only use it to get rough dimensions."

Lets VOTE on this.

lhood
2006-09-28, 11:05 PM
I agree, I also would like the Measure tool to have their own type of units. I would leave my project units in feet and fractional inches then for high accuracy I would use decimal inches. It is easier to visualize .753 opposed to 193/256.

sleimgruber06
2006-09-28, 11:13 PM
I actually prefer for actual dimensions to round, but the tape measure tool to show a more exact number, like to the 1/256 fractional number. That way if there are discrepancies because of rounding in the actual dimensions, I can find them using the tape measure tool.

It is my mindset that you don't want too much rounding going on when using a computer for drawing. The computer is going to measure things to very exact tolerances, but if you set dimensions to display as rounded, you might start getting discrepancies when several rounded dimenisons are added up over a long distance.

Yes, I've had this happen to me before. On the project I was working on the standard was to round most dimensions to a 1/4", and I would descrepancies of about 2" on a strain of 5-6 dimensions... Eso no es bueno! :(

aaronrumple
2006-09-29, 01:46 AM
I keep two dimension styles in the project for staff. One called "Exact" which does no rounding and is configured all in red. I Run strings using that and then as the documents are QC'ed, I switch them to "Standard" which rounds to the project settings....

Anthony.d
2006-09-29, 11:13 AM
I only use the tape measure to get rough dimensions. For example 12'-4 45/256 I read as 12'-4" and leave it at that.

Chris DiSunno
2006-09-29, 01:40 PM
Nice icon there Anthony