PDA

View Full Version : Why is my model cursed?

patricks
2005-07-12, 03:52 PM
When trying to copy windows in walls w/ edited profiles, I sometimes get a "serious error has occured" message.

When trying to put a handrail on my spiral stairs, I get a serious error message.

Now I just tried to activate worksets, it sat there doing something for about 5 minutes, and then guess what, "a serious error has occured blah blah blah"

Then I opened the Worksets window, and there were NO view or family worksets! There was only one workset called Project Standards.

So I closed it (it didn't ask if I wanted to save or release anything), reopened the file, and worksets were back to inactive.

I tried activating worksets again, and the same thing happened again. :banghead:

I noticed that the STC button on the tool bar is not available, even though I can open the Worksets dialog box, and I also noticed that there was no worksets backup folder created in the file directory.

cosmickingpin
2005-07-12, 04:16 PM
The only time I have seen this sort of thing (one single workset and everything was in a view workset- go figure) is when somone, (my boss) pressed esc. to abort a create workset command. Did you interupt any command or press escape by any chance? I sent it to the factory and they told me I was SOL and the file could not be fixed. The file was usable by one user only but other than that it worked fine I would send it in to Revit support and see what they can do. Hope you have better luck than I did.

When trying to copy windows in walls w/ edited profiles, I sometimes get a "serious error has occured" message.

When trying to put a handrail on my spiral stairs, I get a serious error message.

Now I just tried to activate worksets, it sat there doing something for about 5 minutes, and then guess what, "a serious error has occured blah blah blah"

Then I opened the Worksets window, and there were NO view or family worksets! There was only one workset called Project Standards.

So I closed it (it didn't ask if I wanted to save or release anything), reopened the file, and worksets were back to inactive.

I tried activating worksets again, and the same thing happened again. :banghead:

I noticed that the STC button on the tool bar is not available, even though I can open the Worksets dialog box, and I also noticed that there was no worksets backup folder created in the file directory.

patricks
2005-07-12, 04:32 PM
Unreal, I copied and pasted all the model elements into a new file, and I got a serious error as it was pasting, and then another serious error when I tried to enable worksets, and once again the same things occured.

I did nothing during the time it was enabling worksets.

cosmickingpin
2005-07-12, 04:50 PM
Try copying and pasting all the elements one object type at a time (first walls, then floorrs etc...) and see where the error shows up. When I see this it is because there is one single object engaging in an inappropoate relationship with another and as soon as that single object is deleted then everything works great. Or I would get Factory to look at it.

Unreal, I copied and pasted all the model elements into a new file, and I got a serious error as it was pasting, and then another serious error when I tried to enable worksets, and once again the same things occured.

I did nothing during the time it was enabling worksets.

bowlingbrad
2005-07-12, 05:10 PM
...engaging in an inappropoate relationship

These days, that could be punishable by law. ;)

cosmickingpin
2005-07-12, 05:27 PM
and possibly lead to impeachment...

These days, that could be punishable by law. ;)

patricks
2005-07-12, 07:22 PM
well I tried opening a new project and copying and pasting elements one category at a time, but it was copying stuff I didn't want it to. For example in the original model I isolated all the walls, and copied and pasted them into a new project, and I was getting lots of materials and other family types not copying, and also all the windows and doors and curtain wall elements pasted in, even though I had only selected and copied the walls.

At this point I think I'm just going to recreate the model from scratch, since there are several other things that I have been wanting to fix or do a bit differently, anyway.

cosmickingpin
2005-07-12, 07:47 PM
How did you divide up your worksets, I know somepeople are tempted to use them like autocad layers. When you copy a wall if it has a door or window it always brings the doors and windows with it, that's normal. Sounds like that was corrupted somehow. I have only seen that sort of thing before and there was no fixing that one. if your worksets are messed like that you might be right in starting over if you can. Best of luck with that...

well I tried opening a new project and copying and pasting elements one category at a time, but it was copying stuff I didn't want it to. For example in the original model I isolated all the walls, and copied and pasted them into a new project, and I was getting lots of materials and other family types not copying, and also all the windows and doors and curtain wall elements pasted in, even though I had only selected and copied the walls.

At this point I think I'm just going to recreate the model from scratch, since there are several other things that I have been wanting to fix or do a bit differently, anyway.

patricks
2005-07-12, 08:11 PM
How did you divide up your worksets, I know somepeople are tempted to use them like autocad layers. When you copy a wall if it has a door or window it always brings the doors and windows with it, that's normal. Sounds like that was corrupted somehow. I have only seen that sort of thing before and there was no fixing that one. if your worksets are messed like that you might be right in starting over if you can. Best of luck with that...

Well the original file did not have worksets... I started a new file (also with no worksets) and when I was trying to copy walls, it said that various things like sweep types were different and it was going to use the types already in the project. So what I'm doing is starting a new project, transferring project standards for walls and stuff, and then just drawing it from scratch.

mfanucs
2005-07-13, 07:41 AM
Not sure if this will help, but we used it to fix a problem we were having with our room tags (I think it's a new feature to Revit 8)

Under the Tools menu there are two commands :
- Review Warnings...
- Interference Check

We have started using the review warnings tool to sort out 'lazy modeling' and it works pretty well.

Have never used the interference check, but maybe its what you're looking for

Hope it helps

Ciao
Marco

patricks
2005-07-13, 01:05 PM
No I think something is corrupt in the file, seeing as how only enabling worksets was causing serious errors.

I'm already further along on some things in the new model, so I'm just going to continue with that.

However spiral stair railings are still giving me fits (serious errors trying to place a railing around a spiral stair w/ 3 ft. radius).

cosmickingpin
2005-07-13, 01:45 PM
Quick Question, possibly related, when you work are you locking a lot of stuff to other stuff as a matter of routine? I have had this happen where a file corupted when early on I did that with everything in the model, insanity ensued

Are you using stacked walls at all? I have been completely burned everytime I use them, weird *** errors and doors and windows, walls sweeps all dissapear without warning, plus I had almost the exact same issue where one single wall was causing a fatal error, the factory had to open the file and delete it for me. So I stay away from stacked walls (instead I use curtain walls instead and they work great, no errors or dissapearing acts.) Don't be afraid to bug the factory when revit starts fitting on you though.

Spiral stair railing, never worked with them, can't help there.

No I think something is corrupt in the file, seeing as how only enabling worksets was causing serious errors.

I'm already further along on some things in the new model, so I'm just going to continue with that.

However spiral stair railings are still giving me fits (serious errors trying to place a railing around a spiral stair w/ 3 ft. radius).

patricks
2005-07-13, 02:13 PM
No I usually do not lock stuff execept on rare occasions, and I don't use stacked walls, either, as I too despise them.

My boss logged in a support request w/ the subscription-based support service, I don't think we've heard back yet.