PDA

View Full Version : Revit and Framing...very nice

zbubbas
2005-07-12, 08:53 PM
The more I use this program, the more I love it (can't say that about autocad) Just thought I would post some pics for those of you that don't model your framing. Once the roof is created, framing it is a breaze. It takes more work to draw the lines where the rafters would go than to just frame it with rafters. Drafting sucks, go Revit.

tbarnesarc
2005-07-12, 09:34 PM
Very impressive. Nice work.

Scott D Davis
2005-07-12, 10:17 PM
Very nice! Are you using the "Rafter Framing" family that was posted awile back? It was adjustable for lenght, width, slope, and spacing. Place one instance, adjust parameters, and BAM! Your roof framing is done!

rjjlee
2005-07-13, 02:25 AM
Nice!

I'll have to look for that rafter family.

Rhythmick
2005-07-13, 05:41 AM
I’ve only worked with trussed roofs to this point and am assuming you modeled the rafters because as you stated it’s faster than drawing the lines in plan view. – No -, actually I’m assuming you are really just enjoying the modeling and the benefits of it aiding in the documentation process is a big bonus.

In viewing your modeling I’m thinking the plan view is going to need significant touching up as far as rafter lines overlapping beam edges, stretching and cutting members here and there, filling in a few empty spaces and overframing. Perhaps you could post the model plan view before drafting touch up to show us what you have to work with for the plan documentation. I also model most of my framing, but think it is taking more effort than it should to get it to real representation.

I’m so glad to see and have counted on Revit moving forward with providing framing tools. As a builder / designer, it’s framing limitations that other programs are more advanced with, was the only issue that was negatively impacting my decision to go with Revit, I guess I’m like everyone else, “I want it to do everything, especially what I need”!

IMO they have quite a ways to go to get the framing tools to the standards needed to produce CD quality 3d framing that would include proper connections and bearings of members to members such as rafters to ridge, hip, & valley’s, beams to beams, beams to bearing posts and pockets, joists to ledgers, beams and rims, etc.. If the 3d framing application is to be taken seriously on a level that isometrics could be submitted in lieu of sections for the permit application process or as CD for the framer, it really needs to show it as it will actually be built along with hardware (hanger) specs which certainly can not be overlooked in a true BIM world. Also drafting touch up would be very little.

At this point you could tell your framer “it will look something like this”, instead of “build it this way”.

I’m anxiously waiting for the improvements I know are on the way!

mtogni
2005-07-13, 07:13 AM
my compliments for both your work with Revit and your design... Just one question: how did you play to make foundations for columns (walls, in place family...)?

sbrown
2005-07-13, 01:40 PM
Would you please share your process, as a tip and trick. Framing has been asked about a lot in this forum with many people struggling with it. I don't typically do it, but I'd love to know your process.

BWG
2005-07-13, 02:39 PM
I’ve only worked with trussed roofs to this point and am assuming you modeled the rafters because as you stated it’s faster than drawing the lines in plan view. – No -, actually I’m assuming you are really just enjoying the modeling and the benefits of it aiding in the documentation process is a big bonus.

In viewing your modeling I’m thinking the plan view is going to need significant touching up as far as rafter lines overlapping beam edges, stretching and cutting members here and there, filling in a few empty spaces and overframing. Perhaps you could post the model plan view before drafting touch up to show us what you have to work with for the plan documentation. I also model most of my framing, but think it is taking more effort than it should to get it to real representation.

I’m so glad to see and have counted on Revit moving forward with providing framing tools. As a builder / designer, it’s framing limitations that other programs are more advanced with, was the only issue that was negatively impacting my decision to go with Revit, I guess I’m like everyone else, “I want it to do everything, especially what I need”!

IMO they have quite a ways to go to get the framing tools to the standards needed to produce CD quality 3d framing that would include proper connections and bearings of members to members such as rafters to ridge, hip, & valley’s, beams to beams, beams to bearing posts and pockets, joists to ledgers, beams and rims, etc.. If the 3d framing application is to be taken seriously on a level that isometrics could be submitted in lieu of sections for the permit application process or as CD for the framer, it really needs to show it as it will actually be built along with hardware (hanger) specs which certainly can not be overlooked in a true BIM world. Also drafting touch up would be very little.

At this point you could tell your framer “it will look something like this”, instead of “build it this way”.

I’m anxiously waiting for the improvements I know are on the way!

As with their (ADSK) other products, we will probably have to wait for someone to tap into the API and develop an add-on product. Most of the users needing the framing like what is shown here are for residential and they don't necessarily cater to that crowd.

daniel.hurtubise70031
2005-07-13, 04:38 PM
Great, do you think you could share the model ,or a small part of it ?

Scott D Davis
2005-07-13, 04:46 PM
Here's the Roof Rafter Array family.....

muttlieb
2005-07-13, 06:31 PM
The models look great, but I'd be more interested in seeing the 2D framing plans that are a part of your CD's. And how much effort does it take to get the 2D plans to look the way you want them and read clearly. It looks like there might be some cleanup issues to deal with. Can you post some examples of your framing plans?

zbubbas
2005-07-13, 07:08 PM
Here is the model. Enjoy. I have cut out most of the detailing but I left in a couple perimeter details to show that no drafting was done. I didn't clean up anything. The only thing I forgot was to put in the sill plate. I usualy model that with a wall, just like the rim. Let me know what I could do better. Please note, I'm not an Architect. I'm a structural engineer, so don't rip on the architecture as It wasn't mine.

zbubbas
2005-07-13, 08:56 PM
By the way, I didn't use any special families (with one exeption). I used the stock framing families that came with Revit 8.0. I did create the multiple stud columns. Other than that, every thing was stock. I found them very easy to work with. Much easier than before.