PDA

View Full Version : Combine BOMs

bweir
2005-07-13, 01:07 PM
I would like the ability to combine the parts lists from two assemblies into a single table... let me explain.

Quite often I find my self with two very similar assemblies (exactly the same except for one or two parts). Our practice in the past has been to place similar items in a single drawing. When we used AutoCAD it was easy to construct custom tables to our needs. With Inventor the parts lists are limited to only one assembly but you can add multiple parts lists to a drawing.

My thought was if you had two+ parts lists in a drawing you could have a merge/combine tables function. It could combine the two+ tables (of course you would be able to select the tables you want combined) so that there is only one line for each part number but 2+ quantity columns, one for each different configuration.

I'd attach some sample graphics but don't know how.

mikazakov
2005-07-15, 08:42 AM
Hello, bweir.
Combine Parts Lists...Interesting problem....
Are you not try use VBA for begin? VBA of Inventor have some tools for work with Tables Data. May be you has satisfied this need.
Of course, have built-in tool much pleasantly...

bweir
2005-07-18, 07:42 PM
I have experimented with custom tables using the VBA... I would like something that would stay updated automatically.

mikazakov
2005-07-19, 02:28 AM
Hi bweir.
I has understood your problem. I can say, that for automaticaly updade, you use events Visual Basic 6.0 or other power programming language necessary. VBA have certain weakness when events need.
But, VBA have one AUTOMACROS suitable. This automacros is "AutoSave". That "AutoSave" can do? "AutoSave" will do update when user will do Save. So, you done changes will not lost, since user do Save always.
Of course, this way using "AutoSave" not graceful....
You use Visual Basic 6.0 need for graceful.