PDA

View Full Version : Modelling empty LAT grid?

patricks
2005-07-13, 02:15 PM
I need to model a lay-in ceiling tile grid, but without the tiles, only the grids. What would be the best way to do this? In-place thin strips at 2 ft. intervals? These will be used for hanging artwork, etc with another ceiling above the grid.

aaronrumple
2005-07-13, 02:29 PM
That's a tough one using a ceiling, since the panels can only be transparent in rendered views.

Personally, I'd make a work plane at the ceiling height and use model lines on that plane to represent the grid. That would let the ceiling above show through.

To do this - draw a ceiling and align the grid as you like. The go to model lines, and when prompted for a plane pick the ceiling. Then use pick to select each grid line and trace it with a model line. When done, delete the ceiling. The model lines will remain at the correct height.

This of course won't host a fixture. If you need to do that, leave the ceiling, but put it in a workset you can turn off. Place the lights in a separate workset. These will remain on. So the end result is a series of model lines attached parametrically to the grid. A ceiling which is invisible and the lights which are hosted by a "ghost" ceiling.

roy.70844
2005-07-13, 02:45 PM
I used two structural beam systems with a 25x5mm beam. Have a look at the attached.

Roy

sbrown
2005-07-13, 02:51 PM
I just use a surface pattern and make the material transparent, it works great for shaded with edges views. If you need to render, then you would need to make a sloped glazing(curtain wall with mullions the shape of grids and empty panels. start with a mass, then pick curtain wall by face.

patricks
2005-07-13, 03:02 PM
hmm most of those sounds like it would take longer than what I did: make an in-place ceiling with 1" x 1/2" strips spaced 2 ft. apart. I don't think we're going to have lights in it, just artwork suspended from it.

Scott D Davis
2005-07-13, 03:08 PM
Why not a ruled curtain system? Set the panels to 'empty', and make the 'mullions' your Grid profile.

patricks
2005-07-13, 03:28 PM
Well yeah I suppose, but that would entail creating a profile shape. ;)

Time is of the extreme essence, we need to have CD's done by this Monday. :shock:

guess I better get off here and get back to work.....