PDA

View Full Version : dimensions confusion

Max Lloyd
2005-07-13, 04:24 PM
Why is it sometimes you can dimension from an edge to a 'point' and other times you can't? I've never paid enough attention to see when it is and when it isn't.

Shame not to be able to do (as an option at least) all the time. (a la alligned dimension in Autocad)

So whats the best way of doing this dimension, use a ref line as I have done?

DanielleAnderson
2005-07-13, 04:35 PM
Have you tried using the tab key? That seems to work for me most of the time, but I agree, it would be nice if it was an option in the toolbar.

bowlingbrad
2005-07-13, 04:39 PM
I think it has to do with the wall join. Mitering the intersection usually helps this situation. I know, it's not always desirable to miter, but what can we do but wait until it is resolved by them.

cphubb
2005-07-13, 05:26 PM
The other solution that has been floated around here a few times is to use invisible lines or reference planes to define where the corner should be and other items. I have been using the reference plane option because I hate having extra lines floating around my model. However the planes sometimes screw up panning and zooming because the may extend far out in odd directions.

Max Lloyd
2005-07-13, 07:03 PM
The other little niggle wih the ref plane method is that when you switch off the vis for them, the dimensions associated go as well. (indeed any category that is dimensioned to, when switched off the associated dims disappear, even though they are on a separate category)