PDA

View Full Version : Level Symbols

lesack
2005-07-14, 04:41 PM
With 2 opposing elevations (say North and South), how can I change the location of the elevation level symbols in one view without affectiong the other? For example, when I move the symbols to the right of the South elevation, they display on the left side of the North elevation. I would like to keep them consistantly on one side of the respective elevation displays (right preferred) if possible.

Thanks in advance from a long-time ADT user and a Revit NooB who is trying to learn this puppy.

janunson
2005-07-14, 04:48 PM
Try converting to 2D edting of the elevation symbol: when you select the level, by the endpoint that you can drag is a little piece of text that says "3D". This means you editing the actual 3D extents of the level. Click on the text and it'll switch to "2D" then you're just editing the annotion of the level, and won't affect other views.

J. Grouchy
2005-07-14, 05:02 PM
Try converting to 2D edting of the elevation symbol: when you select the level, by the endpoint that you can drag is a little piece of text that says "3D". This means you editing the actual 3D extents of the level. Click on the text and it'll switch to "2D" then you're just editing the annotion of the level, and won't affect other views.

I just use the 'scope box trick' to save time and aggravation.

lesack
2005-07-14, 06:54 PM
I'll try that tonight.

Scope box trick...'Splain Lucy....

Can you give me a little insight on scope boxes? I was playing with them earlier and not really getting the hang of them. Didn't recall finding a tutorial either.

On a related topic, how do I get beams to display (single line representation on a floor plan) when they are above the cut plane? Shouldn't the symbolic line in the family work for this? I got it to work on one plan, but couldn't replicate the process.

lesack
2005-07-14, 07:03 PM
Just found the Scope Box tutorials on this site. I will try to educate myself. Thanks for the help.

Steve_Stafford
2005-07-14, 07:20 PM
...For example, when I move the symbols to the right of the South elevation, they display on the left side of the North elevation...
I don't think the scope box will help you in this...the issue is that the head of the south elevation is really the tail in the north. This is one aspect of Levels new 3D character that is really undesireable. You need to toggle them to 2D so they don't change in the other views.

My opinion...Levels should be 2D/view specific by default and the 3D feature should be an option to propogate changes when it is useful.

J. Grouchy
2005-07-14, 07:23 PM
This thread (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=16195) discusses the #3D grid problem and the 'scope box trick'.

bowlingbrad
2005-07-14, 07:31 PM
I manage this issue with the view's crop region. If you extend the levels' 3d extents far enough away from the building, then every section and elevation you cut will have it's crop region INSIDE of the 3d extents of the level lines. This keeps them all at 2d. This also works with grid lines too.

my 2c

lesack
2005-07-14, 07:55 PM
On a related topic, how do I get beams to display (single line representation on a floor plan) when they are above the cut plane? Shouldn't the symbolic line in the family work for this? I got it to work on one plan, but couldn't replicate the process.

Can anyone give me some insight on this one also? TIA.

sbrown
2005-07-14, 08:39 PM
I believe they are set to display single line in coarse view, and actual geometry in fine, not sure on medium.

lesack
2005-07-15, 12:18 PM
The problem that I am having is that the cut plane is below the object, therefore, it is not displaying. I want to see it as a centerline above the cut plane. I am able to view it if the cut plane is at the object level, but that alters the display of objects below it; doors and windows.

Nevermind, just saw a post on plan regions. That solves my dilema. Thanks for the help.