PDA

View Full Version : Room Type Parameters

augi.60798
2005-07-14, 09:17 PM
I want to create a room tag that has type parameters that hold the functional programming data for my building. I though I had it all figured out, until I tried to add Room Type Parameters to the project, and discovered that I can only add instance parameters to rooms. Does anyone know why this is? Is there a workaround for this?

I can add the programming data as instance parameters (I actually have this working right now), but it means typing 4 sets of data for each room, and there is a lot of duplication and room for error in this.

I was using the condoc tutorial as a starting point...

Steve_Stafford
2005-07-14, 09:45 PM
I want to create a room tag that has type parameters that hold the functional programming data for my building.Are you hoping to use one value to supply several others as well? That's a job for schedule keys. It would be easier to figure out if you could share a little bit more info about the parameters you want to manipulate.

Andre Baros
2005-07-14, 10:07 PM
This could also be a good time to learn about shared parameters. Each parameter would still be an instance but you could quickly make changes to multiple rooms on a room schedule.

augi.60798
2005-07-14, 10:31 PM
andrebaros: I have this working already.

Steve_Stafford: I'll look into schedule keys tomorrow.

Each room falls into a category, "1.2 Classroom", for example. 1 is a group number, the name of the group is Classroom space. 2 is the space type number, the name for the space is Classroom. There are many types of spaces in each group, and several groups. This means 4 type parameters for each room -- unless schedule keys changes my way of thinking. Thanks for the tip.

Danny Polkinhorn
2005-07-15, 01:19 AM
Then Key Schedules are what you want as Steve suggested. I think you'll find they will do exactly what you're describing.

Do a search here (as well as the help file) for schedule keys and you'll find several examples.

HTH,

augi.60798
2005-07-28, 12:42 AM
OK. It's been a while, but I finally have a chance to try this. I created a key schedule, and that does what I want (sort of, read on). Now the room schedule shows the functional program information, and I only have to enter it once in the schedule key - YAY! Thanks all!

But, I also want to show some of this information (the space number, in particular) on the room tag. Can this be done?

I tried adding the parameters to the room tag family file. The only way this would happen was to add a shared parameter for the items that I want to display with the same name as what I defined in the schedule key. No joy. I get the dreaded question marks when I load the tag into the project.

I tried to define a project parameter from the shared parameter and that to the key schedule, but it doesn't show up in the list of available fields.

I think my question is, "Can I put a parameter defined as part of a schedule key into a Room Tag?"

Am I missing something? Is what I want possible?

T.

Steve_Stafford
2005-07-28, 02:15 AM
I think my question is, "Can I put a parameter defined as part of a schedule key into a Room Tag?"You can't do this because the information that is part of the schedule key isn't really part of the room's data itself. The key value is part of the room information but the other fields only display in the schedule because they belong to the key value.

If you must also tag the rooms with these values you'll need to back up, use a shared parameter to define the fields and assign them to the room category. Now you can fill out a tag and have the data report in schedules but you can't automatically fill them out like you can with a schedule key.

It is either or in this situation.

That said, you can select rooms that are similar and change values at one time...and if they can be organized/grouped in a schedule around the types you have, you can take advantage of "Itemize All Instances" by unchecking it and then supply the correct value for all of them at once.

augi.60798
2005-07-28, 02:24 AM
The key value is part of the room information but the other fields only display in the schedule because they belong to the key value.

One last kick at the cat before I backtrack... Does that mean that I can display the key value in the tag?

Thanks for your help.

Steve_Stafford
2005-07-28, 02:33 AM
...Does that mean that I can display the key value in the tag?...
Lucky for me...I'm not a cat "lover"...more like agnostic about cats...;) No, sorry...the key value isn't something you can get your hands on either.

Check my previous post, I put a sample project and two images there to explain what I was suggesting.