PDA

View Full Version : License Issue

PeterJ
2004-01-23, 06:50 AM
I had been thinking of posting a note in one of the htreads about licenses to say that now I had got to grips with the portable license I htought it had all be something of a storm in a teacup to go over to the new licensing model (stand-alone in my case) and actually offered slightly greater flexibility in use in that one license could jump around many computers instead of just two.

Then I slipped and fell on a wet stair, no damage to me, but my new laptop escaped its bag and clattered down about twelve steps and is not responding at all. It has the license transferred onto it. I have still have the plu file, but how do I get the license back. Its too early to call suppotr so any advice would be welcome.

rhys
2004-01-23, 08:07 AM
Is it licenced on another machine. I thought you had a 24 hr grace period. can't you just download a new copy onto a new machine that hasn't had REvit 6 installed and run the 30 day trial until saupport wake up. I've got it licensed on portable only haven't tried transfering license back and forth yet, still got a few days to run on office machine which has 30 day trial running.

rhys
2004-01-23, 08:16 AM
This is an example of disaster before a deadline - why else are you working at 6.50 in the mornings :) And shows why there's nothing wrong with C-Dilla just the lack of 24 hr support from Autodesk in their implementation of it. See my posts about Intuit any why they had to modify their approach in the face of lost sales as a result of their use of it.
After you add the target computer's identification code to the computer list, you export the license from the source computer.

When you move a product license from one computer and plan to add it to another computer, you are exporting that license. A license is exported when the Portable License utility converts an active product license into a portable format (either transfer file or transfer code) that can be moved to the target computer. More helpfully check out the help file for PLU

Note The Portable License utility has a twenty-four hour grace period, during which time you can run the product on the source computer after the license has been moved to another computer. When the grace period expires, however, the source computer cannot run the product again until you complete a "round trip" of the license (once you have moved the license to the target computer, you need to move it from that computer back to the source computer). The grace period may not be available if you have recently used the emergency license on the source computer.

PeterJ
2004-01-23, 06:19 PM
Up and running again.

I deleted the license file on my desktop and then re-authorised, but I think I was only able to do that because I had contacted Autodesk first thing in the morning. I think something was done at the back office end....

Alex Page
2005-06-09, 04:22 AM
Arghh...the same problem has just happended to me....with Revit 8...what "license file" did you delete?

ejburrell67787
2005-06-09, 10:09 AM
Arghh...the same problem has just happended to me....with Revit 8...what "license file" did you delete?
hi Alex, What exactly has happened with your license? We used the PLU for quite some time with only a couple of hiccups.

off topic -
I remember visiting your firm a few times, by the way, back when I was at VUW and looking around for work etc...! In fact didn't Andrea Lill used to work there? She was in the same year as me at VUW.

best wishes, Elrond

Alex Page
2005-06-09, 08:17 PM
I Transferred my license to my Laptop, then my laptop blew up, hence I now cant get it running on my main PC at work!

Elrond, you are right! Going back a few years thou. We are always on the look out for Architects/ Revit people, so stay in touch

ejburrell67787
2005-06-09, 10:55 PM
I Transferred my license to my Laptop, then my laptop blew up, hence I now cant get it running on my main PC at work!
Right. I think when that happened the only way out was to get in touch with support and get another code for the main machine.

PS bad idea to post your email address in that format, might get collected by some spam programme...! I suggest you do an edit and remove it. (You can always put spaces in it or spell the @ and dotts out or something like that to avoid it getting picked up)