PDA

View Full Version : Stair Study - Design Options example discussion (moved here)

aggockel50321
2004-01-23, 01:02 PM
Here's a job done in 6.0, using the new design options in conjunction with phasing. I created a new phase for the project, & demo'd all the stuff necessary for both options. The railing construction is before the help offerd by SLB on a previous thread. A few observations (hopefully correct):

1.) When in a design option, alterations to the main model (namely demolition) cannot be done. Not really a problem, but you have to keep this in mind when setting up the options.

2.) Design options are not view specific. This sheet has 3 rendered images plus one 3d view set to the existing phase. If I wanted to place design option floor plan views side by side on a sheet, I'd have to export them out as .dwg or .jpg's, re-import them into a drafting view, & then place them on the sheet. Once again, not a major problem, but an extra step.

3.) In order to upload this sheet to this forum, I had to get the file size below 500k. Revit's Pinebush pdf writer produced a 1,555 kb file of this sheet. Autodesk's dwf writer produced a 4,778 kb of the same sheet, & pdf995 produce a 430 kb file of the same sheet. Pdf995 won the on-screen quality test imho. I did not try a print comparison of the files.

christopher.zoog51272
2004-01-23, 02:35 PM
Very nice andrew, I like option 3. Nice building model. :)

About the design option being view specific, why not copy the veiw 3 times and set each view to show one of the options? This is what we do when we present multiple option on the same sheet.

Z.

aggockel50321
2004-01-23, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the compliment Chris.

why not copy the veiw 3 times and set each view to show one of the options

I read the above, and then re-read the help file topics. I mispoke about design options not being view specific. Thanks again.

I'm so used to doing this stuff with phases. I've got to get myself retrained. Change the design option in View/Visibility dialog and not in the view properties dialog.

Any idea what the "Visible in Option" button controls in the view properties dialog??

LRaiz
2004-01-23, 04:40 PM
If you make a section view then you may want to limit visibility of section marker in other views. For example if your section is important only to Option1 then by using Visible in Option property you can make section marker be hidden in every view that does not show Option1.

THT,
Leonid

aggockel50321
2004-01-23, 06:39 PM
Thanks, Leonid.

Just curious, but why were design option choices placed in the view visibility dialog rather than the view properties dialog?

LRaiz
2004-01-23, 08:37 PM
andrewg,

Imagine many options sets running at the same time. Property dialog would be quite inconvenient.

LR

christopher.zoog51272
2004-01-23, 08:42 PM
andrewg,

Property dialog would be quite inconvenient.

LR

Agreed. now if I could just resize the design options dialouge box (to avoid scrolling), i'd be all set. :wink:

Z.
http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/download.php?id=1243

Steve_Stafford
2004-01-23, 08:59 PM
...now if I could just resize the design options dialouge box (to avoid scrolling)...

Mister "I've got dual 21" monitors" speaking... :twisted:

aggockel50321
2004-01-23, 10:19 PM
You're right, Leonid. It makes sense now. I've done so many options using phasing, I'm having a hard time adjusting...

Imho, design options is the best addition in this release. The more I get into it, it is well thought out and organized.

Now, if I could only kick down a few existing walls while in an option...

I guess I just don't give up asking.

tatlin
2004-01-24, 05:31 AM
Now, if I could only kick down a few existing walls while in an option...

Andrew, Phasing and Design Options can be used together.

If you add the existing wall to an Option Set, you should be able to then demolish it in whichever option you want. Adding an element to an option allows it to vary, not just in position and properties, but over time as well.

aggockel50321
2004-01-24, 02:18 PM
Thanks Matt,

I never gave that a thought. I'll give it a try.

PeterJ
2004-01-24, 03:02 PM
If you want to explore different works occuring to an existing wall the existing wall needs to be repeated in each option.

I had a example where we added the existing wall into an option set and of course it disappeared from the remainder of the views. Its logical but takes a bit of thinking through.

LRaiz
2004-01-24, 03:50 PM
This thread turned into a generic discussion of design options. May be moderators could rename it (and possibly move to a different forum) so people would be more likely to find it.

LR

(done...Q)

irwin
2004-01-25, 03:32 AM
Agreed. now if I could just resize the design options dialouge box (to avoid scrolling), i'd be all set. :wink:

Keep in mind that if all you are doing is editing an option or finishing editing you don't need to go to the Design Options dialog -- you can just use the Edit Option button in the Design Options toolbar.

aggockel50321
2004-01-26, 02:23 PM
Today I need to add an option set to the above model, where neither stair option gets built, but rather the courtyard gets infilled and treated as a separate below grade room, with substantial renovations to the adjoining spaces (existing walls demo'd, new openings in existing walls & floors, new partitions, etc.)

If I read all the above posts correctly I should proceed as follows:

1.) In the stair option set, I should add an option that has the existing that contains the existing set of stairs & wall that were demo'd to create the new stairs, & maybe call this option "existing conditions". To accomplish this, the original wall & stair set should be cut from the main model (not copied), & pasted into each of the design options, then demo'd within the new stair options as req'd. That way, if I need to show the original condition in a view, I'd select the existing conditions option.

2.) For rest of the work, set up a new design option set, & proceed as discussed above, cutting any floors, walls, doors, etc. that will be demo'd / modified from the main model, and pasting them into each of the new options, once again naming one option "existing" in case none of the other options get built & I want to return to the model's orginal state. Also, as the option study proceeds, if I need to modify (i.e, add a window to an existing main model wall) another main model component not cut & pasted above, I can just go back to the main model cut the objects, & then paste them into each option.

3.) When I do the cutting & pasting from main model to design options,
I'll have to reset the creation phase of the objects, as they'll update to the design option view phase.

4.) If I were to do an ODBC or scheduling query in the phase the design options reside, these items won't show up in the main model, but rather will reside in a virtual purgatory, until I go to the design option dialog & press the "Accept Primary Option" button.

irwin
2004-01-26, 10:31 PM
Usually you would not Cut an element from main model and paste it into each option of an option set. Instead, select the element and Add to Option Set. This removes the element from main model, puts it in the primary option, and creates copies in each of the other options of the option set.

aggockel50321
2004-01-27, 01:02 PM
Thanks Irwin,

That's what I was missing.

I found that button on the design options toolbar. Makes the job much easier, using it in conjunction with the "Active Option Only" checkbox makes it easy to bring existing elements into the design option.