PDA

View Full Version : Wall Surface Pattern Issues

bclarch
2005-07-15, 08:02 PM
I am trying to create a double arched soffit over a pair of bay windows. (See attached screen capture. I highlighted the soffit.) I created it as an in-place family using an extrusion. The wall pattern comes in at 90 degrees to the standard wall pattern. This is where I'm at:

1. I tried to rotate the surface pattern itself by selecting it and using the rotate command. I received an error message saying that it can't be rotated. (I double checked the material settings and the surface pattern is definitely a model pattern.)
2. I tried duplicating the material and rotating the pattern in the material definition but I couldn't find any way to rotate the pattern in the material editor.
3. I tried overriding the material by painting the surface with the paint tool but the program won't let me select the surface of the in-place family. (The soffit is in a workset and view that are both editable by me but won't highlight.)
4. I originally made the soffit as an in-place roof so that I could turn it off and on with the roofs. I remembered that roof surface patterns align themselves with the eave. I thought that this might be the problem so I recreated the soffit as an in-place wall and as a generic model. All with the same result.
5. When I started looking at this more closely I noticed that the patterns on the house walls are also screwed up. On the front wall of the bay (on the left in the image) the surface pattern is oriented correctly. On the other walls in the image the surface pattern is flipped 180 degrees.

Anybody have any ideas on how to fix the soffit? And what about the walls? Why would the pattern flip upside down on the walls?

Rhythmick
2005-07-15, 08:22 PM
When you select the pattern for rotating are you "tabbing" till a single horizontal or vertical line of the pattern is highlighted?

bclarch
2005-07-15, 09:58 PM
When you select the pattern for rotating are you "tabbing" till a single horizontal or vertical line of the pattern is highlighted?
Yes. The rotate command accepts the selection but after I specify the angle the program thinks for a few seconds then I get the error message.