PDA

View Full Version : Roof Patterns

JTF
2003-05-17, 12:54 PM
I had posted this to a thread in renderings with no hits.

So I've posted here also.

Please see image.

Does anyone know why or how to work around this.

Notice how the roof pattern gets twisted on the bumpout.

The pattern is applied in the roof properties to the asphalt layer material.

christopher.zoog51272
2003-05-17, 01:01 PM
Is the surface pattern a "model" pattern or a "drafting" pattern? Have you tried manually rotatating the surface pattern back to the correct position, using the rotate tool?

This reminds of an issue alek was having a few monthes ago, but I can't remember how it was resolved. I'll see what I can dig up. :?

JTF
2003-05-17, 01:09 PM
The pattern is a drafting pattern.

I've just tried to load as a model pattern but could not.

Is it possible to change the pattern file to model.

It is an Autocad hatch pattern.

And how would I go about rotating the pattern as you have mentioned.

Thanks Todd

mlgatzke
2003-05-18, 01:19 AM
Open the .pat file and look. Model patterns are preceeded by "model" and drafting patterns are preceeded by "drafting." Simply place the word model in the name of the pattern instead of drafting or if there's nothing there. I think this is your problem. Model patterns position themselves relative to the model (3D) and drafting patterns do not - they are intended for use in drafting views where 3D views are not important.

JTF
2003-05-18, 09:39 AM
Thanks mlgatzke.

I had fooled around with the file before with no luck.
I had inserted the model defination but it would only save it as a text file before.

What I did this time was to copy and paste the file first.
Then insert the model defination.

Worked like a charm.

See new image.

Even looks great in 3D, as it was before the pattern moved in 3D, not anymore. It stays orientated to the model.

Thanks again.

Alek Sutulov
2003-05-18, 07:36 PM
I am not getting what you actually did?

Alek

JTF
2003-05-18, 09:44 PM
Alek if you see my first image you will notice that the asphalt shingles on the side slopes are shown at a wrong angle.(Not parallel to the eave line)

And then in my second image you can see that the pattern is parallel with the eave line.

Does that answer your question or are you asking how I changed the original .pat file to be able to apply it as a model hatch.

beegee
2003-05-19, 01:00 AM
Does that answer your question or are you asking how I changed the original .pat file to be able to apply it as a model hatch.

I'm not sure about Alek, but can you explain it to me ?

beegee

Dean Camlin
2003-05-19, 12:24 PM
To convert any hatch pattern definition to a model pattern you need to add the line:
;%TYPE=MODEL
to the text file before the pattern definition. Then, Revit will recognize it as a model hatch. In Revit, go to Settings > Fill Patterns ... Then, in the dialog box, select Model as the pattern type, select New, then Custom, then Import, and select the pattern file name (from wherever you have it stored) -- then, highlight the file name & play with the scale of the pattern, if necessary.

Alek Sutulov
2003-05-19, 03:03 PM
"What I did this time was to copy and paste the file first.
Then insert the model defination. "

This.

Alek