PDA

View Full Version : Tagging All Not Tagged - Graphical Column Schedule

Steve_Stafford
2005-07-19, 07:33 AM
In my messing about this evening I tried to tag the columns in this view type. Individually it allows me to pick a column to tag it. The tag all not tag feature however doesn't do anything. Clicking just leaves you wanting... While I'm at it...It would be very nice if the schedule automatically tagged the columns that appear in the view when it is created, yeah...I'm lazy, sorry :wink:

Tom Weir
2005-07-21, 04:53 PM
Steve,
The column schedule maker still needs some tweaking, as you have discovered. We also would like the column schedule to group similar members, and show the grid intersection designations below. Having one box for each column would not work well on a big steel job, and is not as informative. I think they are working on this now...

Tom Weir
Los Angeles

Steve_Stafford
2005-07-21, 07:32 PM
Yes, I see...in fact it looks like it is really a collection of elevations, literally since you can select the columns in the view. On some level, it makes sense to me that the schedule functions as it does because it is a report of column intersections and the columns that occur there. I understand that it isn't the convention used typically though.

The graphical column schedules I used to see at a previous firm were just a list of various columns based upon their total height and then a summary of the grid intersection or locations.

As someone who isn't a structural engineer I actually find the current schedule easier to relate to than the conventional one. I can look at a column grid intersection/location and assess it entirely from top to bottom. With a convention schedule, I can't assess the entire column assembly when they are comprised of different members for the full height of the building as easily. At least not the ones I've seen...

Seems to me that the schedule needed to match convention is really a different report than what is currently offered.

Tom Weir
2005-07-25, 03:10 PM
Steve,
But what one really wants to see is one elevation for exactly similar column sizes, and a box below showing all the grid intersections that apply to that vertical assembly, if in fact there are more than one column sizes at that location. That is the most informative presentation because you can easily see groupings of vertical assemblies.

Tom Weir
Los Agneles

kmarsh
2005-09-22, 08:37 PM
Just want to bring this one to the top also.

I understand the a graphical column schedule may be a ways off but can we at least have the grid intersections in the current column schedule?? I can't figure out how to tell which column is which. Am I missing something?

This might be nice for preparing a weight take-off but that's about it.

Anybody else have thoughts on this topic?

-ken

Tom Weir
2005-09-23, 02:29 PM
Yes, the grid intersections are there, or should be. Are you on Revit Structure 2? One thing to watch out for is that if the column is not exactly centered on the grid line it will not be added to the schedule. I have started to lock them down once I confirm their occurrence on the schedule.
The engineers are amazed when I tell them we can change the column size in the schedule and every occurrence in every view will also change. So, in fact it would be extemely easy for them to make the changes themselves in Revit, without need of marks up and a drafter.

Tom Weir
Los Angeles

kmarsh
2005-09-26, 03:27 PM
Hi Tom,

I had only tried a regular schedule. Once I tried the graphical column schedule I noticed that RS2 did list the grid intersection designations. Is there a convenient way to prepare a list of columns by grid location in a spreadsheet format? Sometimes we do baseplate, anchorbolt configurations in a spreadsheet style schedule format. If possible, we'd like to be able to re-create a similar schedule in RS2.

Thanks again for your reply.
-ken