PDA

View Full Version : View Titles and Rotated Viewports

Cathy Hadley
2004-01-24, 06:21 PM
I have many rotated viewports.... would like these to have view titles... below the viewport and with the stretchable extension line?

I have created a viewtitle that is 90 degrees... works fine... Moves around nicely...

Its the extension line that I can't seem to rotate? I tried adding a line into the Viewtitle... can't get it to be stretchable... then I thought... oh I'll just add a short line and then draw a line on the sheet to extend the rest of the viewport... well... no snaps to the end of a line nested like that...

Please help... oh great Revit Gods...

your humble Revit Servant...

CZH

Steve_Stafford
2004-01-24, 07:37 PM
Cathy,

For rotated viewports I gave up on the stretchable line...you can put a line in, dimension it with a parameter, but then you've got no access to the parameter when you load and use it. Disappointing huh?

Well, I use two different routes for view titles overall as a result. For projects that use NCS/UDS I have a symbol that is our detail box that I move the view title into (no lines, just text in the view title). Two other topics to review that I go into this are LINK1 (http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1905&highlight=ncs+uds) and LINK2 (http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=594&highlight=ncs+uds)

For simpler schemes, I opted for underlined text for the title so a line appears under the title but it is only as long as the text. Downside is these look different depending on the view.

Just some thoughts for you...

Oh, since we're talking about rotating views...you better be prepared that your other annotation objects that are visible in the view like column grids, section marks and elevation marks will be oriented differently and not necessarily following text orientation conventions.

Cathy Hadley
2004-01-24, 08:12 PM
Steve,
Thanks at least it helps to know I should stop messing around and just move on ...

I am going to add a line (4" or so) to all view title families so they all look the same and be done with it...

As to the text rotation in sections, etc... doesn't bother me too much... at least not until you mentioned it.... :( glad to see you can re-orient all the tags to vertical tho ... :lol:

CZH

LMSmith
2004-01-26, 05:12 PM
You could also try rotating the crop region of a view instead of the viewport - this way your view titles will remain on the bottom - no need for a special family.

gregcashen
2004-01-26, 05:18 PM
maybe a tutorial on this is in order? I just tried, and, though it looks like it is going to rotate, it doesn't. what gives?

aggockel50321
2004-01-26, 06:01 PM
Greg,

Try this:

While in the view,

1.) Enable crop regions.
2.) Select (highlight) the crop region border.
3.) Pick the rotate tool above.
4.) Either type in the angle or drag the view around.
5.) Readjust the crop region to show what you want.

Works the similar with callouts. If you choose, you can turn off the crop region, and the view remains rotated.

One issue, if you choose to type in the rotation angle or drag it around, elements within the view rotate opposite (+90 typed in rotates elements clockwise) what you'd expect.

gregcashen
2004-01-26, 06:49 PM
My bad, I was trying this in an elevation, thinking it would be cool to be able to do exploded box style elevations on the plan sheet for design review on one of my smaller projects. So the plan would be oriented normally, and the elevations would appear to have "fallen away" from the plan...like the walls collapsing onto the ground. Anyway, I don't think this rotation trick works on elevations... :cry:

aggockel50321
2004-01-26, 07:01 PM
That would be neat.

Have you thought of exporting the elevations out as .dwg, and then importing, placing, and rotating the elevation .dwg's around your floor plan.

It'd be a pain in the a** to update.

gregcashen
2004-01-26, 08:37 PM
That would be neat.

Have you thought of exporting the elevations out as .dwg, and then importing, placing, and rotating the elevation .dwg's around your floor plan.

It'd be a pain in the a** to update.

yes...I followed your exact train of thought...PITA

Cathy Hadley
2004-01-27, 06:27 PM
Thanks, I never knew you could rotate a crop region... Thanks ... :oops:

Just the solution I need... Makes it much nicer now that the views and the viewports are oriented the same...

Now to go back and rotate the tags back to horizontal...

ACE001
2007-10-03, 09:32 PM
Hi All,
This is an old post but I'm interested in the stretchable line in the view title. The line doesn't show in the family and I'm wondering, where is it?
Craig

Cathy,

For rotated viewports I gave up on the stretchable line...you can put a line in, dimension it with a parameter, but then you've got no access to the parameter when you load and use it. Disappointing huh?

Well, I use two different routes for view titles overall as a result. For projects that use NCS/UDS I have a symbol that is our detail box that I move the view title into (no lines, just text in the view title). Two other topics to review that I go into this are LINK1 (http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1905&highlight=ncs+uds) and LINK2 (http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=594&highlight=ncs+uds)

For simpler schemes, I opted for underlined text for the title so a line appears under the title but it is only as long as the text. Downside is these look different depending on the view.

Just some thoughts for you...

Oh, since we're talking about rotating views...you better be prepared that your other annotation objects that are visible in the view like column grids, section marks and elevation marks will be oriented differently and not necessarily following text orientation conventions.

ajayholland
2007-10-04, 03:41 PM
The line is automatically generated. You have control of it’s visibility, color, and lineweight.

~AJH

Steve_Stafford
2007-10-06, 09:57 PM
The line is automatically generated. You have control of it’s visibility, color, and lineweight.

~AJHJust to tag...it is a type parameter of the view and you have the control that Jay mentions.