PDA

View Full Version : Hip Roofs

pwmsmith
2004-01-25, 02:08 PM
How can you create hip roofs with plate heights that vary. I can do this in Desktop but do not know how in Revit.

sbrown
2004-01-25, 04:24 PM
The easiest way is to create multiple roof "peices" and join them together uses the join roof tool, check the help tutorials on roofs.

Steve_Stafford
2004-01-25, 04:25 PM
Do this TUTORIAL (http://revit.autodesk.com/pillar/custserv/web/service/support_4.0/faq/Implementation_Series/week_7/week_7.html#Start%20Roof%20Exercises)...there is one for the type you describe within...

sbrown
2004-01-25, 04:30 PM
Thats the one I was thinking of thanks Steve.

pwmsmith
2004-01-28, 01:42 AM
Thank you for the tutorial. Ther are still conditions where the geometry of my plate heights do not allow me to close for roof shape. do you have any other ideas?

gregcashen
2004-01-28, 03:28 AM
That's a tad too vague to let us help you. Like saying "I need MORE advice" without saying what you need more advice about ;)

If pictures are worth a thousand words, .rvt files are worth a million.

pwmsmith
2004-01-28, 07:14 PM
ATTACHED IS AN EXAMPLE OF WHAT I'M TRYING TO DO. THANKS FOR TRYING TO HELP. I'M A FAIRLY NEW USER TRYING TO MAKE THE SWITCH FROM AUTOCAD. BUT FIRST I MUST BE ABLE TO COMPLETE A SET OF DRAWINGS. THANKS AGAIN.

Steve_Stafford
2004-01-28, 07:33 PM
Here you go...hope it helps.

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/download.php?id=1287

gregcashen
2004-01-28, 07:36 PM
Wow! 19 minute solution...nice Steve!

pwmsmith
2004-01-28, 08:15 PM
STEVE I SEE THE REFERENCE PLANES BUT HOW DO THEY WORK WHEN I'M CLOSING MY ROOF SKETCH?

Steve_Stafford
2004-01-28, 08:28 PM
I created two roofs, they overlap each other. I used "join geometry" to attach them to each other. Then traced reference planes over the common ridges/valleys (where the roofs intersect). Then edited each roof in sketch mode using the reference planes to "cut away" the roof where they intersect. Leaving what you see.

pwmsmith
2004-01-28, 09:19 PM
This is an actual plan footprint we did for a client, the working plans done in Desktop. I was able to do the roof in Revit as you see, but a little confused where to put the reference plane. The roof was made in three pieces. Do you mind showing me. Won't bother you again. Thanks :D

pwmsmith
2004-01-28, 09:26 PM
Sory, attachment was lost last message. Attachment to big. Thanks for your help.

pwmsmith
2004-01-28, 09:48 PM
AT LAST THE DRAWING.

cccm1863
2004-01-29, 10:01 PM
I with Pat. Can you show how you placed the reference plane. Especially the view you used to place the ref plane in the valley.

Steve_Stafford
2004-01-30, 04:16 AM
Okay, I'm back, downloaded your file. I have to admit I "struggled" with this roof for a couple reasons. No idea what the interior layout might be so no sense of where columns and bearing walls might be...and the way they all overlap is tough. I suspect it will be or is a bear to actually frame up? Not a truss manufacturer so I really don't know, but I'd love to know.

Anyway, here is an image and I'll attach the rfa so you can see what I did. You did a good job of it based on the info in the tutorial. Only problem in my opinion is that you end up with a lot of stray stuff in sections and if anything is vaulted you'd have these roof parts in your view.

My approach is to attempt to create roof segments that might be close to how they'd break up the roof structure, build a roof and overbuild the next etc. So you'll see roofs that I've carved up by; placing more roof than I needed, using join geometry, then tracing reference planes over the valleys and ridges created. Then editing the sketch work for each roof to end up with a pretty clean underside that should yield a pretty easy section, from just about any spot, to detail up.

Hope it helps, it was a challenge...next time it won't be

pwmsmith
2004-01-30, 04:47 AM
Steve, thank you. I believe it's starting to come together for me. I from South Florida and the residential architecture tends to be the 'Palm Beach' look. This house is one of the smaller and simpler ones. My largest has been 16,000 sf. The truss mfg's are very creative here.
Thank again.
:D