PDA

View Full Version : Resizing Viewports

David Sammons
2004-01-25, 07:21 PM
The plan for one of my projects will not fit onto a 24x36 drawing sheet. As a result, I need to use a match line and divide the plan up into two parts. However, I have been unable to resize the viewport when I add a plan view to my drawing sheet.

Does anyone know how to resize the viewport so that only part of the plan displays on each sheet?

Dave S.

Charles Francis
2004-01-25, 07:31 PM
David:
It sounds as if you need to change the scale of your overall project view to a smaller scale and create two callouts at the desired scale...one placed on one sheet and one on another. As an example, the overall at 1/16"=1' or smaller for the overall with the callouts at 1/8"=1'

David Sammons
2004-01-25, 07:49 PM
Thanks Charles.

Your suggestion solved my problem except the plan dimensions do not display in the callout view. Do I need to add the dimensions to the callout view?

Dave S.

rhys
2004-01-25, 08:15 PM
No need to use call outs. Just make a copy your original plan view.
Then set Crop regions to say 1/2 the pan in each view. Place each view on your sheets. Dimensions will show on each view so long as the object dimensioned to in the view

Charles Francis
2004-01-25, 08:31 PM
David:
Yes place the dimensions in the callout view. Rhys is also correct as to a possible method of solving your problem. Using the callouts with the smaller version of the plan allows you to see the overall scheme of things as a key plan. If a large project, you could dimension grid lines on the small scale with room specific dimensions on the callouts. [sorry for the reply time, I was working on a project]

Steve_Stafford
2004-01-25, 08:36 PM
Whether you choose to use callouts or copies of plans you DO need to copy dimensions from one to the other. The plan copy method gives you a way to copy the plan with detailing, "Duplicate with Detailing". With callouts you need to copy and then paste aligned...(of course you can always place new dimensions...hopefully you aren't being too repetitive anyway?)

The downside of doing it with copied plans in my opinion is that you create overhead by having to deal with keyplans and matchlines. It is a well established technique to describe large projects, it's just that Revit doesn't provide a slick way to document matchlines and keyplans.

The callout route gives you a natural progression from "big" picture to "small" through consistent annotation. Further, if you export a set to PDF or DWF you end up with annotation links that "take" you to the annotated view, very nice for digitally minded folks wishing to review a set.

To each project it's own needs ultimately....

rhys
2004-01-25, 08:51 PM
I agree Steve but its about the overall dimensioning, which i think determins which you prefer. Dimensioning in callouts I don't think transfers back to the overall view, whereas copying the plan view using crop borders does. I tend to use copy plan views for the overall dims and then callouts for room and detailed layouts along with dims that won't ever be needed in the large layouts. Also I often find I've dimensioned a whole plan up at say 1:100 and then need to set up sheets at 1:50, my dimensioning is largely preserved with the copy plan view option.

David Sammons
2004-01-26, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

I have tried both options (callouts and duplicate with detailing/cropping) and at this point, I prefer duplicate with detailing/cropping for addressing the matchline issue since it preserves the dimensions and eliminates the need to copy the dimensions. However, the capability to create annotation links with callouts is appealing.

I plan to use callouts for large scale plan details.

This is one area where Revit could improve so as to make working with large plans, key plans, matchlines, etc. easier. It seams to me the ability to resize the viewport would be the answer.

Dave S.