PDA

View Full Version : Splash backs and walls with multiple finishes

Exar Kun
2005-07-21, 06:22 AM
Just after some suggestions as to what would be the best way to tackle things like splash backs and walls with a couple or more finishes. I'm working up some internal elevations and we have tiles going halfway up the wall in some cases and in others the tiles are only there as skirting. This could happen along the same stretch of wall, however. I'd like an easy(ish) way to do this that would see the tiles sit behind the wet area fixtures. Filled regions become clumsy when working around things like taps. Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

blads
2005-07-21, 06:55 AM
Recently I had to display a curved granite splashback - so the easiest way around this was to create a generic model, from which a 1:1 template was plotted in order for them to cut the granite.

k.armstrong
2005-07-21, 01:27 PM
nice laundry blads!!!

whats the rest of the place like?

Ken

So you are saying what i suspected - you need to draw another layer onto the wall - would be a fantastic tool if you could draw the outline and say "i want to attach this area of "tiles/paint/plaster/whatever" to the wall" and have it behave - or is there some way to already do this

I have a refurb job where the existing walls are blockwork - painted - (awful) so i am calling up the walls to be lined with battens and plasterboard. but how do i get internal elevations to show plasterb'd and not the blockwork hatching - i'm verging on copying all the walls to the clipboard in existing stage - going to new and demolishing them then pasting walls back into place - then changing style to one that has plasterboard lining.

Any other suggestions

Ken

david.kingham
2005-07-21, 01:41 PM
Try using split face on the wall and then use the paintbucket to apply materials ;)

rhys
2005-07-21, 04:05 PM
I still use the workaround we've used since v3!!
I draw another 10mm tiled wall around then edit profile to adjust the extent of tiling. Does confuse floor areas sometimes but its usually OK.

patricks
2005-07-21, 06:14 PM
You guys call them splashbacks in Down Under? That's funny because we call them backsplashes here. :p

Exar Kun
2005-07-21, 10:14 PM
Try using split face on the wall and then use the paintbucket to apply materials ;)

I've tried doing that but it gets messy when you have a couple of different heights along the wall. We have tiles just as splashback in one area then going 2100 in another area etc.

I like the idea of just being able to sketch out an area of a wall to be a different material. Would be nice to do it without having to constantly split walls.

What's this silly backsplash thing - all you northerners are sooo backwards. :p

blads
2005-07-22, 01:36 AM
nice laundry blads!!!

whats the rest of the place like?

Ken

So you are saying what i suspected - you need to draw another layer onto the wall - would be a fantastic tool if you could draw the outline and say "i want to attach this area of "tiles/paint/plaster/whatever" to the wall" and have it behave - or is there some way to already do this

I have a refurb job where the existing walls are blockwork - painted - (awful) so i am calling up the walls to be lined with battens and plasterboard. but how do i get internal elevations to show plasterb'd and not the blockwork hatching - i'm verging on copying all the walls to the clipboard in existing stage - going to new and demolishing them then pasting walls back into place - then changing style to one that has plasterboard lining.

Any other suggestions

Ken

The rest of the place...well the front part of the house when added on to won an "Award of Excellence" some time back you can check it out here (http://www.wja.com.au/photo.htm) - scroll down to 1999 BDASA Design Excellence Awards - Residential Additions & Alterations < $50,000 category.
Kitchen was redone in '95 using granite bentops and still looks new even today...

For your refurb job: after copying/duplicating your existing affected wall eg exist_block-new or something different to the remainder of the existing walls. I would then edit the "new" wall to included the additional layers that your are adding on...
makes sense...
HTH

patricks
2005-07-22, 02:39 AM
What's this silly backsplash thing - all you northerners are sooo backwards. :p

What? I'm no northerner, I'm from the South... southern United States. Oh wait you meant northern hemisphere. ;) :p

blads
2005-07-22, 08:20 AM
What? I'm no northerner, I'm from the South... southern United States. Oh wait you meant northern hemisphere. ;) :p

Nice one... my wife had a great chuckle over your comments... :D