PDA

View Full Version : Stacked Walls how

mikemck
2005-07-21, 09:38 PM
I haven't figured out how to create a stacked wall. It is starting to look like I need to edit/duplicate the stacked wall that is already in the project template rather than modifying one of the other wall types.

Is that right?

It looks like different walls may be in the residential template versus the commercial template. Is this the case? If so, how do the various wall types get in each template?

Thanks.

Mike

sbrown
2005-07-21, 11:30 PM
Basically you make 2 sep wall types, then edit/duplicate the stacked wall type and sub out/in your walls.

patricks
2005-07-22, 02:42 AM
My advice is to stay away from stacked walls. It's caused nothing but angst and cussing fits at the computer everytime I try to make them work.

Scott D Davis
2005-07-22, 05:00 AM
what's been your issues with stacked walls?

Mr Spot
2005-07-22, 05:19 AM
My advice is to stay away from stacked walls. It's caused nothing but angst and cussing fits at the computer everytime I try to make them work.
When was the last time you used stacked walls. I've found them quite useful, and most of the bugs seem to have been ironed out. we also use stacked walls with embed wall sweeps for sills etc and it works a treat...

Michelle Gibson
2005-07-22, 11:45 AM
Do a search and look for questions on stacked walls with my name in there. I spent quite a few days figuring them out and had a lot of questions that were answered quite well. The biggest thing to note is that wall joins work for only one cut level, so if you are doing large scale plan details, you might get frustrated at how they appear. We ended up using "white out" in plan details to clean up plan details of the same location at various elevations. They do work well in elevation but bit of a challenge in detailing.

patricks
2005-07-22, 01:39 PM
what's been your issues with stacked walls?

The last time I tried them I simply could not get walls at 45/135 deg. angles to join correctly. It would take me forever to finally get it right, and then I would do something else and come back and it would be screwed up again.

Michelle Gibson
2005-07-22, 01:47 PM
Haven't been working on walls for a while, only our first Revit project but...

I zoom into the plan detail at intersection in question and use the join command - you scroll through a whole bunch of variations of either but(t) or mitre joint options. Note that your default cut section level is the one you are actually modifying at the time. I found that I would get it correct at that floor level cut, but if I went to another higher or lower cut level of the same plan detail location then the original one would get bungled up. So... I made sure the main cut level of the floor plan was correct, as was the plan detail for that level then "tidied" up my other plan details for the same location that were at different cut levels. A bit of a pain in the neck... but managable.

tamas
2005-07-22, 07:17 PM
In 8.0 we did fix most of the wall join problems that plagued Stacked Walls in their first release (7.0). I am not aware of any remaining Stacked Wall specific join problems.

Notice my careful wording here. There still are join issues when you stack several regular walls on top of each other. The Stacked Wall instances should now behave exaclty as if you drew regular walls stacked.

As always, I'd like to hear if you still have complaints about Stacked Walls.

Tamas

Michelle Gibson
2005-07-25, 06:38 PM
I haven't worked on walls in a while. If we started the project in 7 and transferred it to 8, does that mean I could go back and where I have one stacked wall type T-ing into another stacked wall type that it would now work for all my plan details instead of just one? That would be great. So far, we have not yet gone back to clean up the really tough wall joins where we have two different stacked wall types (one exterior with three wall types) and one interior (again, three wall types) joining each other at a building corner.

cosmickingpin
2005-07-25, 06:51 PM
I get doors and windows, wall sweeps that dissapear, that same phantom movement patricks is getting, weird relationships between the stacked walls and other elements and suddenly cause some unrelated section of the model to become unusable until the offending stacked wall in paticular is deleted. Forget trying to embed a curtain wall, place an opening or edit its profile.

The last time I tried them I simply could not get walls at 45/135 deg. angles to join correctly. It would take me forever to finally get it right, and then I would do something else and come back and it would be screwed up again.

tamas
2005-07-25, 07:36 PM
I haven't worked on walls in a while. If we started the project in 7 and transferred it to 8, does that mean I could go back and where I have one stacked wall type T-ing into another stacked wall type that it would now work for all my plan details instead of just one? That would be great. So far, we have not yet gone back to clean up the really tough wall joins where we have two different stacked wall types (one exterior with three wall types) and one interior (again, three wall types) joining each other at a building corner.
I don't think the upgraded file will fix itself, but when you click on the problematic wall's end control, it should join much better than it used to. If it still does not, please send in the file so I can take a look at it.

Tamas

tamas
2005-07-25, 07:40 PM
I get doors and windows, wall sweeps that dissapear, that same phantom movement patricks is getting, weird relationships between the stacked walls and other elements and suddenly cause some unrelated section of the model to become unusable until the offending stacked wall in paticular is deleted. Forget trying to embed a curtain wall, place an opening or edit its profile.
I am sorry to hear your troubles. But as always, it is a lot more useful if you can provide specific examples. I don't think I could reproduce these problems from your description.

Tamas

Michelle Gibson
2005-07-26, 03:09 PM
I tried a few of the more frustrating joins and they appear to be okay. Oddly enough, the simplest join in which a basic wall T's into an exterior stacked wall still does not join properly. I would love to send you the file to take a look at, but don't know how to go about it. Size of file right now is about 35k, I think.

tamas
2005-07-26, 04:39 PM
I tried a few of the more frustrating joins and they appear to be okay. Oddly enough, the simplest join in which a basic wall T's into an exterior stacked wall still does not join properly. I would love to send you the file to take a look at, but don't know how to go about it. Size of file right now is about 35k, I think.
Glad to hear that the old bad joins are improved.

I believe you may see the same T-join problem when your stacked wall is broken up (right click->Break Up). That is the problem is not specific to the Stacked Wall type. Nevertheless it is a bug and we have it in our queue.

35K is pretty small, so you can just attach it here when you post your reply. 35M would be too much of course.

Tamas

Michelle Gibson
2005-07-26, 04:47 PM
I don't remember breaking up any stack walls when we worked on the floor plan. Also, I tend to use short form when talking about "0"s - the drawing is 27000k