PDA

View Full Version : Problem with exporting Revit model

dzevad
2005-07-24, 06:58 PM
Yo fellas,

I need to export Revit model to ACAD or Max but when I export 3D window as DWG or DXF (whether as solid or mesh, makes no difference) "cubes" are exported nicely but any curved geometry (like spheres, sweeps with circular profiles etc) appear in ACAD weirdly segmented, created of randomly scattered triangles.

Try to make a torus in ACAD and then make the same torus in Revit and export it to ACAD and compare their faces.

Is there any way to make exported revit geometry look like one made directly in ACAD?

Thanks

beegee
2005-07-24, 10:08 PM
The attached image is a torus created in Revit and exported to 2004, opened in 2005. Triangulation is evident, but on the whole, it doesn't look too bad.

sbrown
2005-07-24, 11:04 PM
are you checking the export as solid button on the export dialog box? If not try that.

dzevad
2005-07-24, 11:22 PM
Well in most cases its not a problem, but very often it creates strange artefacts. In some cases triangular mesh is not dense enough so the bumps are visible especially when rendering closeups in Max.

Here take look at this: plain sweep along a slightly curved arc, profile is a circle 6cm in diametar....unusable for rendering! and thats just one of examples i've come across.....

It appears that this issue is more evident when dealing with thin thingys and small dimensions in general.

As I've mentioned before, exporting as solid doesn't help.

sbrown
2005-07-25, 01:19 PM
In that last image, if you look closely at the revit model it is creating the same geometry, small diameter sweeps in revit don't create nice solid "rod shaped sweeps" they triangulate to the middel and you typically can't see it because its so small.

cwentworth
2006-03-27, 06:00 PM
I make architectural models from Revit data. The best way to get a smooth 3D model out of Revit is to export a DWG in polymesh format. That way the curves are not degenerated into badly vectorized arcs. The output will not be solid no matter what you do. Revit only outputs mesh shell objects.

Regards,
Chris
3DRP

Yo fellas,

I need to export Revit model to ACAD or Max but when I export 3D window as DWG or DXF (whether as solid or mesh, makes no difference) "cubes" are exported nicely but any curved geometry (like spheres, sweeps with circular profiles etc) appear in ACAD weirdly segmented, created of randomly scattered triangles.

Try to make a torus in ACAD and then make the same torus in Revit and export it to ACAD and compare their faces.

Is there any way to make exported revit geometry look like one made directly in ACAD?

Thanks