PDA

View Full Version : Presentation Complete - Thank-You AUGI

artitech
2005-07-25, 01:36 PM
Thanks to all the helpful contributors at AUGI, I was able to get through my architectural thesis presentation with success.

I'm attaching a few images from my presentation to show how useful a tool Revit was for this presentation, it sets the standard high.

I was thoroughly impressed with the ability to get inside the building model and experience the space first hand. It assisted me in maing several design decisions and opened up my mind for possibilities that I would have never otherwise realized.

Thanks AUGI and thank-you AutoDesk for letting us explore with Revit!

C. Stechyshyn
Graduate Architect
RAIC Syllabus

sbrown
2005-07-25, 01:43 PM
What a great design you have put together!! The renderings are just OK to me, but the project is so good that doesn't matter. I look forward to seeing your next work. Great job.
Looks like you had fun with it. If you need help on the materials and rendering issues, there are some really good sources available at accustudio.com, the accurender newsgroup, and ofcourse this group.

Max Lloyd
2005-07-25, 02:32 PM
I know you had plenty of problems along the way, but I would say the headaches were well worth while. It looks great.

I agree entirely with Scott, the renderings need some work (try to never use a cyan sky) but play with them when you get the chance. I love playing with rendering on a finished project, you can get some incredible results.

And I agree again with the nature of the presentation. Fantastic. Great design. It looks like a really complex and well detailed model. Great challenge for your first effort.

With the knowledge you must have now gained, Big Daug status is just around the corner!

Good luck with your thesis.

Max.

artitech
2005-07-25, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the comments sbrown and Max, much appreicated - and both of you have offered me some useful assistance over the month-and-a-half that my thesis project took me to model.

I also learned quickly that 512Mb RAM is "insufficient" and was very limited in my explorations with rendering as I kept crashing my computer. I will certainly explore these options further, expecially with material rendering.

On the "cyan sky", have you ever seen the sky over Lake Superior? It is often clear blue and looks alot like cyan... why was this comment made, I'm curious?

C. Stechyshyn

Wes Macaulay
2005-07-25, 07:57 PM
...they've never been to Ontario, haha

Congrats on your thesis and hey, you'll be far ahead of your classmates in getting work because you're not working with a toy... you're working with a tool ;-)

Max Lloyd
2005-07-28, 08:29 AM
I'm glad you didn't take it the wrong way, its just that along with Tina (the straw hatted evil rpc entourage), cyan skies are one of my pet hates in revit. I guess it's because it seems to default to cyan and you just see so many renderings with them. Also when the light reflects off any surface, it just looks un-natural and sticks out, especially with interior renders.

I live near London and have never seen a cyan sky (or any blue sky for that matter!;) )

artitech
2005-07-28, 10:45 AM
Max,

That's what I like about groups such as AUGI and the internet in general.... we get to communicate and share ideas and meet people from all over the world in places we may never get to travel.

I found the comment interesting and was wondering if it had anything to do with our geography.. perhaps it does. I've attached some photos I took around the site where my thesis project was based so you can see the colour of sky we have (on most occassions).

This was my first Revit project actually, I used it to learn the program and realize there was far too much to learn in the time I had to get this thesis presentation together and realize I fell short on the rendering aspect... I am in need of more rcp people, some children and people in plain clothes (jeans and t-shirt) or shorts and t-shirts would be nice.

Cory Stechyshyn

sbrown
2005-07-28, 12:39 PM
You should download rcp creator from archvisions website, with it you can take any image you want and create an rcp out of it. So you can find people in magazines and use them.

Max Lloyd
2005-07-28, 02:36 PM
I agree about Augi. Its amazing to be able to communicate with so many friendly, knowledgable and kind people. The variety of cultures sure does mix things up as well. Although I think that revitcity seems to get much more of the mainland europeans on it (spanish & italian in particular) I always find it interesting to see the difference in style to their presentation work.

I can't help with rpc content I'm afraid. I haven't got any except the stock 'gang' that come with revit. Consequently I seldom use them except for fun ( http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=17851 )

I like the way you blacked them out in your interior shot though. Very effective. Was that done in photoshop?

artitech
2005-07-28, 06:17 PM
sbrown,

Thanks for the info on rcp people. I'll give it a try.

Max,

I didn't use photoshop, what I did was only used the outsoor light to render the scene, so there were strong shadows and it appropriately interpreted the shadows on the people, who turned out black. The effect was "exactly" how I wanted it, beginners luck perhaps.

I did notice today though that the people are "hovering" slightly above my floor plane... I thought I caught that where ever it had occured in my renderings, I missed this one!