PDA

View Full Version : revit layout with dual monitors

Les Therrien
2004-01-27, 03:36 PM
I've finally got the dual monitors running and it is oh so SWEET !! :lol:

I currently have Revit on one monitor and my MS Outlook, ZDBB, etc. on the other.
I've just recently moved my project browser onto the second screen therefore giving Revit more working screen space.
Is there a way to unlock the browser from the edge of the Revit screen. Where it locks is at the edge of the screen so it's not too bad.

What is everyone doing as far as what goes on which screen?

Les

Henry D
2004-01-27, 03:55 PM
Les,

I gave up on getting the browser on the other screen - I have Revit on one screen and all other programs on the other screen. One thing that is handy is to have windows explorer open to the libraries on the other screen -then you can drag over families into your project, or open them for editing. The other thing I did to gain more space is to turn off the Design, Tool and Option bars so I only have the menu bar and browser left - I am much faster now because it really forced me to learn the shortcuts.

gregcashen
2004-01-27, 05:38 PM
One thing that is handy is to have windows explorer open to the libraries on the other screen -then you can drag over families into your project, or open them for editing

this is a great way to work

Les Therrien
2004-01-27, 06:31 PM
That is a great idea. I'll have to try that one!

rakarpassoc
2004-01-28, 07:48 AM
I drag project browser to right monitor and put the browser next to it.
You can also stretch across two screens but the windows do not stay where they were put. i. e. to have a 3d window next to the project browser on the left.

rhys
2004-01-28, 07:54 AM
I assume dual monitor support is on the wish list :?:

Peter Lovell
2004-02-22, 03:35 AM
I started using two monitors last month (2-22" Samsung flat things). Now I am planning to add at least a third. I can spread the Revit application window over the two screens and have several drawings open at useful size. Then working from one drawing to another is cinch - it really make ones day more pleasent, not to mention productive.

PeterJ
2004-02-22, 10:16 AM
Do you not find that Revit opens drawings centred across the two monitoors and you have to spend time moving them? Its good this way for detail work etc, but I find it a pain for initial modelling.

Wes Macaulay
2004-02-23, 03:50 AM
The other thing I did to gain more space is to turn off the Design, Tool and Option bars so I only have the menu bar and browser left - I am much faster now because it really forced me to learn the shortcuts.
Henry, is this like how you do it?

"!" menu:"window-design bar-basics"
"@" menu:"window-design bar-view"
"#" menu:"window-design bar-modelling"
"$" menu:"window-design bar-drafting"
"%" menu:"window-design bar-rendering"
"^" menu:"window-design bar-site"
"&" menu:"window-design bar-massing"
"*" menu:"window-design bar-area analysis"
"(" menu:"window-design bar-structural"
")" menu:"window-design bar-construction"

"_" menu:"window-status bar"
"+" menu:"window-project browser"

This way I can hold down the shift key and go across the keyboard turning the menus on and off. If there is a way to turn all the design bar options at once, well, that would make my day.

Henry D
2004-02-23, 12:40 PM
Wes,
I'm not that sophisticated, I just uncheck the menus in the "Window" menu bar. I think your shortcuts are very good, but since I have most of the commands with shortcuts , I only have to access the turned off menus occasionally. As I said, not having easy access to the tool & design menus has really forced me to learn shortcuts and made me faster.