PDA

View Full Version : Column Tag- 45 display problem

Tom Weir
2005-07-25, 03:12 PM
Hi all,
When I try to add the column tag with the 45 degree line the label is not parallel to the line. Anyone else have that problem?

Tom Weir
Long Beach, CA

Paul Andersen
2005-07-27, 05:34 PM
Confirmed. Structural Column Tag-45 does not seem to work well with a leader. Not a bad look without a leader but could get confusing on complicated or smaller scale plans. The annotation family has the text at the proper 45 degree angle but, it's interesting that the leader won't come off the column at a 45 unless I'm missing something.

kmarsh
2005-09-22, 08:28 PM
Just wanted to bring this one back to the top of the list...

I haven't seen any structural drawings with labels for columns with actual leader lines. They are always done similar to the cut I've attached (45 degree line with text above the line, line length ends at the end of the text, NOT at the beginning. At the absolute outside, the line may be rotated to some other angle than 45 but the text should be rotated to match the line and NOT have a break in the line.) If this is a tag family, can we (should we) edit it to make it work in a more conventional way for structural engineers? If so, where may I find the family, it doesn't appear to be in the imperial folder...

iru69
2008-03-11, 01:18 AM
Can't find much on this recently... I just tried to use this family OOTB with the same results... is this family simply broken or am I not understanding how to use it, or does someone have a "tag" family that works as this is intended, or has everyone just switched to a different way of labeling columns, or...?

Any insights welcome... thanks.

scowsert
2008-03-11, 05:07 AM
Can't find much on this recently... I just tried to use this family OOTB with the same results... is this family simply broken or am I not understanding how to use it, or does someone have a "tag" family that works as this is intended, or has everyone just switched to a different way of labeling columns, or...?

Any insights welcome... thanks.

It's broken IMHO... after tagging I draw in a dumb detail line at 45 degree's and nudge the column tag around until it looks like I want. I'd love a better way but so far don't know of any. I'm all ears.

captjim
2008-03-11, 12:50 PM
Like so much other OOTB content, column tags are **** and unuseable. In addition to the leader issue, member sizes are not formatted correctly per AISC standards. We use dumb text and a line.

balazs.trojak
2008-03-11, 01:31 PM
Autodesk is aware of tagging problems and have promised improvements.

scowsert
2010-07-02, 05:56 PM
Back from the dead with you!

Any updates to this? We've created a tag that is underlined then used a leader. It works o.k. at best. I still prefer using the 45 degree tag then drawing a dumb line underneath it.

Anyone? Revit 2012? :D

americanmustang
2010-07-07, 06:42 PM
Almost everything OOTB is...eh. It took our office a very long time to go through and modify families to look like our CAD stuff used to look like (fonts, lineweights, etc.) We've gone through all 2d tags and modyfied them, whether it be just simply changing the font or adding lines and linetypes. We've also gone through some 3d families like our columns, and added some detail components for use when we cut a detail or callout. All that tedious work will eventually pay off.

BecFra
2010-07-09, 09:13 PM
Our custom column tag family have the line from the origin (so it always goes to the center of the column) going out a certain distance with the label at the end of the line. We also have types with a shorter line. (also have a type for every 45°) We control these with just visibility parameters. It's kind of a pain (or just A LOT) in the type selector but it works for us!

amarpreet.ar
2011-11-30, 10:08 PM
Our custom column tag family have the line from the origin (so it always goes to the center of the column) going out a certain distance with the label at the end of the line. We also have types with a shorter line. (also have a type for every 45°) We control these with just visibility parameters. It's kind of a pain (or just A LOT) in the type selector but it works for us!

How have you been able to make a family like that. I tried a lot of time but the label is way out without aligning with leader line. Could you please shed some light or may share your family if its not a problem for you.

scowsert
2011-12-01, 04:50 PM
I haven't found any better solutions.

1. Rotate the tag (within the family) tag the beam, draw detail line.
2. Rotate the tag (within the family), underline it as well, tag the beam use leader.

They both suck. I'm surprised (ok not really) that this hasn't been addressed over all the years. But then again revit text is pretty bad and there doesn't see to be much uproar about it. It 'should' be number on on the wish list. Yet we get other things. I guess text tools don't sell the product. Man are they bad though. Yuck! To bad we still have to actually annotate stuff.

I'm open to better solutions as always.

trialbyfire
2011-12-10, 01:41 AM
For what it's worth, attached is our column tag family. We use underlined text, and then line up the text with the "X" symbol for the column. That way the line always stops at the end of the text. Like most things in Revit, it isn't perfect but it works reasonably well.

I've got no mojo with the families (not something I've been able to convince them to give me the time/$ to invest in training on)...so I'm sure there are better ways of building it.